Best Pre 1942 Carrier Torpedo Bomber (1 Viewer)

Which of the following was the best carrier based torpedo bomber prior to 1942

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Don't forget they used the swordfish in 1944 against the german e-boats with a fair amount of sucess too.

I also think the Swordfish would have been at an even worse situation as compared to the Devestator when it came to attacking IJN carrier task forces.

It simply didnt have the speed to get in close enough to launch its torpedo.

I agree SYS 3 it was a real old bus and totally out of date by 1939 when up against any real aircover the Stringbag got shot to bits (re the channel dash)

Being pretty much an eurocentric is that i want to make a question regarding the planes of the Navy in the PTO:

Did all their planes carry their torpedoes internally? That seems like a very interesting feature; it would seem to me that particular caracteristic greatly improved the performance of the plane while flying loaded with a torpedo.

Being pretty much an eurocentric is that i want to make a question regarding the planes of the Navy in the PTO:

Did all their planes carry their torpedoes internally? That seems like a very interesting feature; it would seem to me that particular caracteristic greatly improved the performance of the plane while flying loaded with a torpedo.

I know the Avenger carried its torpedo internally for just that reason.

I will have to check the IJN designs.

But, prior to 1942, all torpedo bombers carried its payload externally.

Heres some info on the IJN aerial torpedo's.

Type 91
Mod 1 17.7" diameter, 17' 4" length, 1728 lbs. weight, 331 lbs. warhead. 2000m @ 41 kts 260 kts. An older torpedo that was still being used in some land-based JNAF torpedo-bomber squadrons at the beginning of the war, including some of the units ('Nells') which attacked and sank Repulse and the Prince of Wales.

Type 91
Mod 2 17.7" diameter, 18' 0" length, 1841 lbs. weight, 452 lbs. warhead. 2000m @ 41 kts 260 kts. First deployed in April, 1941. Carried by the 'Kate' torpedo bombers which attacked Pearl Harbor.

Type 91
Mod 3 17.7" diameter, 17' 4" length, 1872 lbs. weight, 529 lbs. warhead. 2000m @ 41 kts 260 kts. First deployed in mid- to late-1942.

Very interesting syscom. Thanks.

So the avenger was the only torpedo bomber used by the Navy?

If we're solely comparing the Swordfish Mk.I to the B5N2 and disregarding everything but the torpedo-bomber role, then the B5N2 is quite extensively superior to the Swordfish.

The Swordfish was not completely fabric covered; the front sections were metal and the lower wings on the Mk.II were also metal. The survivability on both types was poor if any enemy aircraft were about.

All the torpedo bombers were painfully slow when carrying their torpedo, especially when going in for the bomb run. The Swordfish was the more stable of them all when doing the low speed run required to drop the torpedo.

I'm not saying the Swordfish is the best but it can't be written off instantly because looks older than the rest.

Very interesting syscom. Thanks.

So the avenger was the only torpedo bomber used by the Navy?

The TBD devestator was used through the battle of Midway and then quickly retired.

The TBF Avenger made its debut at Midway in a limited role (it was based on the island, not the carriers).

Those are the only two USN torpedo bombers I know of.

If we're solely comparing the Swordfish Mk.I to the B5N2 and disregarding everything but the torpedo-bomber role, then the B5N2 is quite extensively superior to the Swordfish.

The Swordfish was not completely fabric covered; the front sections were metal and the lower wings on the Mk.II were also metal. The survivability on both types was poor if any enemy aircraft were about.

All the torpedo bombers were painfully slow when carrying their torpedo, especially when going in for the bomb run. The Swordfish was the more stable of them all when doing the low speed run required to drop the torpedo.

I'm not saying the Swordfish is the best but it can't be written off instantly because looks older than the rest.

This is striclty for the torpedo role, through the middle of 1942, when the Avenger began to be deployed.

Ultimatly, the aircraft must be able to carry its torpedo at a fast enough rate to keep up with the carriers fighters and dive bombers, as well as out to a good range.

I agree, I am certainly not trying to take away anything from the Swordfish. It was a great aircraft and performed with distinction throughout the war but when compared to more modern Torp Bombers such as the Kate and eventually the Avenger it was outdated and outclassed due to its design.

Gave my vote to the Swordfish, on acount of the huge Bismarck getting horribly burned and drowned by this plane's torpedos.

Sunk to Davy Jones.
wreck2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back