Best radial fighter of '42

Poll removed

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hello Vincenzo
H-75 C-1 was simply the French designation for Curtiss Hawk 75A series, C-1 simply means single-seat fighter.

Juha

i knew a little of french i knew this, and for true it's designation surely for A-1/3 for A-4 some source report H-751 (obv. ever C1), but where is the problem?

Hello Vincenzo
I agree, also that H-751C-1 was designation for Hawk 75A-4 (it had a different engine, Cyclone). I only meant that P-36/H-75 has been included from the beginning.

Juha

for true i never included P-36 it's not fightning in '42 but only the export variant that actually fightning with finnish, dutch british/south africans, and french.
in this i don't found nothing on use in fight of mohawk I/III soma had info? if not need delete thsi from challenges.

p.s. i tendo to leave the fighter divided for users for "national" change in it

Hello Vincenzo
from message #1 onwards P-36/Hawk 75A has been included in this thread. Mohawk I-III were simply British designations to Hawk 75A-1 - A-3 with some British equipments. FAF used those Hawks in 42.

Juha

The list on 1st topic was provisional there is one update, the US P-36 was not 100% same of export variant. i knew, see my p.s. on my previous topic. true soumen used A-1,2,3,4 (for '42 modified with PW), 6 and they are on challenge.

Juha you can check if all the suomen used models were fightning in '42 (i know the delivery ended in january '44 so maybe that some model entered in fightning after '42)

Hello Vincenzo
remembering that FAF A-4s had their Cyclones changed to P W Twin Wasps by late 1941 and looking both imports and also the total losses in 1941 , FAF used A-1s, A-2s, A-3s and A-6s in 1942. In 1943 bought 15 Hawk 75As incl A-1s, A-2s and A-3s. One must remember that because FAF standard fuel was 87 oct, max power available to FAF Hawks was 1065hp, so in essence all behaved like A-1s or A-2s.

Juha

"4 (for '42 modified with PW)" was w/o but i want told same of you. so ok all types were operational in suomi at '42.

Firstly
Vincenzo, thanks for the info on Italian fighters early on this tread. And thanks for the link to the French handbook on Hawk 75A.

FAF used Hawk 75A longer as 1-line fighter than Fiat G.50, but that was at least partly because G.50 was technically a problem child.
Hawk 75A and Fiat G.50 had both very strong airframes which usually meant that they could absorb lot of battle damage,

On horizontal manoeuvrability of FAF fighters in 42, Fokker D.XXI was worst, it was tip staller and lost energy rapidly in turns. The Mercury engined version (which was the better one) needed 25 – 28 sec for 360deg turn. On the other hand its controls remained light even at high speed but same was true also for G.50, Hawk 75A and B-239.

HoHun
I wonder why in your graphs P-36 got its max speed at so low altitude. According to Wagner's American Combat Planes both P-36C and P-36A had their max speed at 3048m (10000 ft), also according to Finnish tests CU-572 (an A-3 but with 87oct fuel, not 100 oct) achieved its max speed (c. 434km/h) at 3570m when using automatic fuel/air mixture and at appr. 2300m when using over rich mixture (c. 436,5 km/h). French manual gave critical altitude for H-75A-1 as 4000m and according to "Detail specifications for Curtiss Hawk 75-A Airplane" the critical altitude of a H-75A with P&W Twin Wasp S3C3-G geared engine was 4650m.

Juha

Hi Juha,

>I wonder why in your graphs P-36 got its max speed at so low altitude. According to Wagner's American Combat Planes both P-36C and P-36A had their max speed at 3048m (10000 ft), also according to Finnish tests CU-572 (an A-3 but with 87oct fuel, not 100 oct) achieved its max speed (c. 434km/h) at 3570m when using automatic fuel/air mixture and at appr. 2300m when using over rich mixture (c. 436,5 km/h). French manual gave critical altitude for H-75A-1 as 4000m and according to "Detail specifications for Curtiss Hawk 75-A Airplane" the critical altitude of a H-75A with P&W Twin Wasp S3C3-G geared engine was 4650m.

I'm considering the type to use 100 octane, which allows the use of increased boost pressure, which in turn will only be delivered by the supercharger at low altitude. You should find that the curve I provided runs right through the normally listed top speed figures at 87 octane full throttle height (at least if you rely on the Curtiss figures :)

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

if none has info of utilization in fightning (in '42) of mohawk I/III from RAF/SAAF itake out that.
for 100 octane fuel on hawk 75, i've many doubt that users, as this thread definition, of H75/R-1830 can have this.

Hello HoHun
thanks for explanation.

Hello Vincenzo
IIRC RAF/SAAF used only Mowawk IVs, SAAF in Eritrea.

Juha

HoHun if need help for research data, on web, for miss graphs of Fw 190 or other planes, tell me i'm happy to help in the research.

if none has info of utilization in fightning (in '42) of mohawk I/III from RAF/SAAF itake out that.

RAF were using their Mohawk IV's in Burma very late in war, 155 squadron used them until January 1944, then they were replaced with Spitfire VIII.

HoHun can explain me why italian fighter climb speed are so different from italian test?
The G. 50 climb at 4 km in 254'' so it's 15,7 m/s average, the max climb in the graphs is ~13,5 m/s
The Re. 2000 climb at 4 km in 237'' so it's 16,8 m/s average, the max climb in the graphs is ~16,2 m/s
The M.C.200 climb at 4 km in 234'' so it's 17,1 m/s average, the max climb in the graphs is ~15,3 m/s

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back