Best Torpedoes (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

That looks like a good site Adler, however there are some serious flaws on it:

The G7es T5-11 Zaunkönigs had a 274kg warhead, not a 200kg one. And the G7e T2-3's warhead consisted of 280kg of explosives, and again not only 200kg.

And finally the G7a T1 also had a warhead of 280kg, and not 320kg.

Yeah but those are websites Adler, and could therefore be based on each other ;)

The correct figures are:

280kg warhead for the G7a T1 and G7e T2-3.

274kg warhead for the G7es T5-11 Zaunkönigs.

Well you could read "Hitler's U-boat War – The Hunted 1939-1942" by Clair Blair, ISBN: 0679640320. As-well as "Hitler's U-boat War – The Hunted 1942-1945" by Clair Bair, ISBN: 0304352616.

And if you don't want to spent your money on that, then you can read it here, one of two site's which is considered a reliable source by U-boat researchers: http://uboat.net/technical/torpedoes.htm

Quote: All the German U-boat torpedoes were 53.3cm (21 inch) in diameter and had a warhead of 280kg (The T5 had 274kg)

Btw, what just happened to the forum ? suddenly I couldnt get to it at all.

DerAdlerIstGelandet said:
I have used U-boot net before. It is actually a great website.

Yes its a truly great site, with lots and lots of interesting info on the U-boat war.

I enjoy the section where they show the histories for every U-boot that is known and where they lie today. Very interesting.

DerAdlerIstGelandet said:
I enjoy the section where they show the histories for every U-boot that is known and where they lie today. Very interesting.

Yes, especially that part is interesting !

Once spent half a day looking up the fates of all those "Boots", tiring but interesting.

The Long Lance - in my view was the best torpedo developed in ww2. While not to be used in subs it was succesfully operated by surface ships.
The LUT is my second favourite, probably the best submarine torpedo.
Strange that the axis hadn´t benefitted that much from each other:
Japanese subs with german training would be bad for the US and german subs with japanese Long Lance would be interesting, too...

I think it was a matter of culture. Some German subs did go to Japan as did some of the subs. The German Captains were going desperate to get the Japs to attack the supply ships and supply lines. The opportunities were huge with the distances involved and the American defences would have been stretched considerably but the Japs insisted on concentrating on attacks on the warships.
Some U Boats were passed on to the Japs after Germany surrendered but they achieved little if anything.

The Fido is an interesting solution for a limited purpose.
However, the Fido (19" MK 24) isn´t a torpedo in our comparison by itself. It is a passive homing aircraft dropped ASW mine rather than a torpedo:
explosive charge: 92 lbs Torpex
range: 4000 yrds
speed: 12 kts.
Fido is credited with sinking some 62 submarines during ww2. It wasn´t used on surface ships nor on submarines and wouldn´t perform in this role due to it´s limited range, tiny warhead and very slow speed.
As ASW it was a fine weapon especially because it could be dropped by aircrafts.
Her acoustic homing was very simple and not that enhenced compared with the T5 (which differed between submarine noises and destroyer noises, altough it succesfully was jammed), it couldn´t dive deep enough to reach subs in under 80 ft and it lacked speed to be useful against type XXI and XXIII submarines late in the war.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back