Best Utility Helicopter

Best Utility Helicopter in service today?

• Boeing Vertol CH-46 Seaknight

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sikorsky SH-3 Sea King

• Kamov Ka-25

• Kamov Ka-27

• Mil Mi-8 Hip

• Mil Mi-14 Haze

• Augusta A-109

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I read somewhere either Bell or the FAA had a count of about 10,000 UH-1s built and there are 12,000 flying around! Operators "boot-legged" the dataplate off a crashed ship and built and aircraft up from parts.

Because the Alouette III does not hold a candle to the other helicopters up there. It is a light utility and with its max take off weight of 4850lb and its low performance is not going to compare to the other aircraft up there.

It is a good air search and rescue aircraft and light observation but compared to the others up there it does not hold a candle.

Hell the Blackhawk that I used to crew could slingload a Alouette III.

Ok! i see your point of view! just asking because you included the linx!!
here in Portugal is still used has a Gunship, has it was used in the War in Africa! About low performance i didn`t understand ?
Has i said before my english is a bit limited!!

What I mean by low performance is that it speed, range, and cieling are lower than comparable aircraft. It also can only carry a payload of about 2400lb.

As I said it is a good search and rescue aircraft but thats about it.

We actually did some training missions with the Swiss Alouette III's down in the Alps. It was a lot of fun. It is a good light utility aircraft but outclassed by larger and better aircraft.

I was a design and structures engineer at Bell with a hand in the UH-1D/H, AH-1 and Jet Ranger. In my opinion the UH 60 is a better airframe for survivability, better flexibility..

The Huey is like a C-47 - it did everything you asked of it and well. My heart is with UH-1, my head is with UH-60 Blackhawk

I agree. Basically they took what they learned from the Huey and made the Blackhawk from it.

And I agree my heart is with the UH-1 but my head is with the Hawk as well.

Thank you for explainig!
My choice is the Puma!

Good aircraft actually.

When I was deployed to Kosovo we raced a Swiss Super Puma from Pristina to our Camp. We just barely beat it. The Super Puma will actually out perform a Hawk but we were able to get the most our of our aircraft.

The RAF have a couple of UH-1s as well... a lot of people don't know that.

I've heard it's performance is outstanding. One of the few helicopters that haven't caused a lot of trouble upon their introduction.

I don´t know about RAF EH -101, but the Portuguese Merlin has 50% of their helis grounded, because of mechanical and software problems. one even crashed against the runway from 3 meters high, during a medevac injuring a doctor in the spine.
In fact the air force is considering to put the old SA 330 Puma back in operation!!

Users who are viewing this thread