Best WWII automatic weapon

Best WWII Automatic weapon

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Painful? No. Its an almost 11lb weapon shooting a pistol cartridge. Even the most recoil sensative would not complain about the Thompson. For comparison, the 1911 .45 pistol weighed a little over 2lbs and was taught to be shot one handed.

Sorry gents will have to go with the Owen Gun local lads win over international models again for me and was still in use by Vietnam until phased out of service. you could drop the Owen in mud and sand and still the weapon would operate under conditions most weapons would fail or jam. Owen gun most effective in the hands of an Aussie Digger in PNG and the areas around Pacific/Asian region Diggers were sent to as for a squaddie weapon from WW2 would go the Bren Gun. damn thing was found every where in Commonwealth forces during WW2

Thompson is overrated, too complicated to build and too heavy.

Too complicated to build (costly), too heavy, all true. But it seemed to be highly rated by those who used it, which is the ratings that really count.

Talk about heavy, a friend of mine has a BAR (he carried one in WWII). WOW! However, it also seemed to be highly rated by those who used it. And I understand that its workings are still used in a modern weapon (M240). And it has an impressive length of service.

The best automatic weapon of WWII (not really in this thread), and probably best ever (if longevity is considered), the Browning 50 cal. heavy machine gun. Over 80 years in front line service and still going. Amazing.

I can't really vote. I am just not familar with all of the contestants.

Ma Deuce. You got that one right, davparlr.

I'd take the Sten. Built like an AK. Light. Lots of firepower and you can lay LOW firing that bad boy.

And I don't know about you, but if I had a short range weapon, laying low would be high on my priority list.

The best automatic weapon of WWII (not really in this thread), and probably best ever (if longevity is considered), the Browning 50 cal. heavy machine gun. Over 80 years in front line service and still going. Amazing.

I'd say the MG-42 beats that.

And I'd say that in the same class of weapon, the Soviet UB was a better gun than the M2

Lighter
Higher ROF
More reliable
More powerful cartridge

Main failings are limited barrel life, slightly lower M/V and the funky cable based charging system, which was repotedly an absolute bugger to use in the ground versions of the gun, requiring considerable strength.

I'd say the MG-42 beats that.

Definately a good selection an the best infantry machine gun in the war. Apparently the father of many modern weapons. Ma Duece was probably effective in more applications, however. Also, 20 more operating years. For a weapon developed in the era of biplanes and cavlary to be respected in todays warfare is an impressive accomplishment.

The M2 is too big and heavy IMO, and its RoF is way too low, also accurate fire with the M2 is very difficult because of the huge recoil. Its good for mounting on jeeps and AFV's, but its way to clumsy for the infantry - the MG-42 on the other hand can act as both a HMG and LMG, and is very effective in both roles.

The M2 is too big and heavy IMO, and its RoF is way too low, also accurate fire with the M2 is very difficult because of the huge recoil. Its good for mounting on jeeps and AFV's, but its way to clumsy for the infantry - the MG-42 on the other hand can act as both a HMG and LMG, and is very effective in both roles.

M2 is accurate using the tripod mount. It's also a very effective anti-materiel weapon. Granted - it's a b*tch to break apart into loads and carry for leg infantry. There's always mot/mech transport, and also being entrenched and used in a static position.

Well, I do think this thread is basically limited to infantry weapons, but the title is best automatic weapon. Not only did the M2 perform admirably as an infantry weapon, but also in many others. I could list the applications, but, gee, I think I would wear myself out. And then, probably miss some.

I don't want to berate the MG-42, it is what you say for the infantry.

And I'd say that in the same class of weapon, the Soviet UB was a better gun than the M2

Lighter
Higher ROF
More reliable
More powerful cartridge

Main failings are limited barrel life, slightly lower M/V and the funky cable based charging system, which was repotedly an absolute bugger to use in the ground versions of the gun, requiring considerable strength.

The information I got was that the M3 version of the Browning was capable of 1200 rpm vs. 840 for the UB (I am not sure the M3 was around for WWII). Also, the Browning has a higher muzzle velocity.

The M2 and the MG-42 are two completely differnent classes of weapons. Both are excellent in there respective catagories but I dont think you can compare the two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back