Better German naval strategy 1930-1945? (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It was a dead heat between HMS Hermes and IJN Hosho - the USN was a few years late to the party.
Yes, Hosho was first purpose built carrier. The RN was flying aircraft off ships, in some cases winching them down to sea level, since 1916 at least. I believe HMS Argus predates U.S.S. Langley. Rather than look that up I'll wait for the inevitable corrections.

Last edited:
I believe the French beat everyone to the punch with their pre-war seaplane carrier.
(Pre-WWI, I meant)
I would have said USN beat everyone with the landing/take off from USS Pennsylvania (ACR-4) on 18/Jan/1911. But they never followed up on it.

French certainly led the way with seaplane carrier NM Fourde. Operating seaplanes starting in 1912, participating in fleet exercises in 1913 and adding a flying off deck in 1914. But again they stopped everything with start of the war.

HMS Argus - 1918 beats USS Langley 1922 by more/less 4 years, Hosho is 1922 as well.
NM Fourde, HMS Argus, USS Langley were all conversions, IJN Hosho was planned from the keel as an aircraft carrier.​

Purpose-built aircraft carriers, meaning not conversions.
HMS Hermes - laid down 1918, commissioned 1924
IJN Hosho - laid down 1919, commisioned 1922.
USS Lexington - laid down 1921, commissioned 1927.

Again, purpose-built aircraft carriers, not repurposed from oilers, cruisers, passenger ships or what-not.

Users who are viewing this thread