Bf 109 G-6/U2 from 3./JG 301 at Manston, 21 July 1944. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Bf 109 G/U2 from 3/JG301 at Manston 21st July 1944 - is there any indication who the pilot was as I believe it may have been the pilot who shot down my Uncles Lancaster on 8th July 1944

yellow 8, werke nummer 163 240 flown by Feldwebel Manfred Gromoll.

Gromoll shot down 2 Lancasters on the night of the 8th of July 44. first one at 01.36 hrs and the second at 01.48 hrs.

E ~

grenadier

7/8 July 1944
208 Lancasters and 13 Mosquitos, mainly from No 5 Group but with some Pathfinder aircraft, attacked a flying-bomb storage dump in a group of tunnels (formerly used for growing mushrooms) at St Leu d'Esserent. The bombing was accurately directed on to the mouths of the tunnels and on to the approach roads, thus blocking access to the flying bombs stored there. German night fighters intercepted the bombing force and 29 Lancasters and 2 Mosquitos were lost, 14.0 per cent of the force. No 106 Squadron, from Metheringham, lost 5 of its 16 Lancasters on the raid and No 630 Squadron, from East Kirkby, lost its commanding officer, Wing Commander WI Deas, who was flying his 69th operation. Wing Commander Deas was killed and is buried in a small cemetery at Omerville, north-west of Versailles.

123 Lancasters and 5 Mosquitos of Nos 1 and 8 Groups carried out an accurate raid on the railway yards at Vaires without the loss of any aircraft.

106 aircraft of Nos 1, 3, 5 and 9No 3 Groups on a diversionary sweep almost to the coast of Holland, 7 Mosquitos of No 5 Group dropping 'spoof' markers in support of the St Leu d'Esserent raid, 32 Mosquitos to Berlin and 9 to Scholven/Buer, 48 aircraft on RCM sorties or Resistance operations (no breakdown available), 83 Mosquito patrols. 2 Mosquitos were lost from the Berlin raid and 1 aircraft (type not recorded) was lost from a Resistance flight.

that's odd, i realise you've lifted that straight from the RAF's diary, but annother source of mine states 31 lancs lost going to St Leu d'Esserent, maybe they were written off after landing or something :-k ............

Thanks for the replies but what happened to Gromoll? was he killed or did he end up as a pow? Incidently my uncle was the mid-upper gunner in Wing Commanders crew and is buried at Omerville communal cemetery NW of paris

Erich, any ideas why /U2 aircraft, which were originally supposed to be GM-1 equipped variants, ended up with Wilde Sau units? It seems to me from the British reports this plane was re-converted to standard G-6 conditions..

A detailed report of the two G-6s that landed in England at that time can be read at Tony Wood's LW claims site IIRC.

Dear all,

I lost my past word and link to site. Wasn't sure about the posts.. And all the other excuses I can come up with :oops:

630 Squadron Lancaster NE688 LE-R took of from East Kirkby to bomb Saint Leu d'Esserent (Leopold V1- Supply depot)

st-leu

Apart from F/O W.T Upton all the crew were killed. Their A/C crashed 11lm SSE of Magny en Vexin. The crew are buried at Omerville (Seine Oise) France.

In May 2000, Walter Upon returned to Omerville in search of the families which helped him escape.

" We were at 11 000 feet when we where hit by a Me109. There was a first explosion, the A/C caught fire. Then a second explosion and the A/C fell in to a dive.

Just before the A/C crashed, Walter at his radio position past over the pilot (dead) and managed to open the trp door. And jumped out just before hitting the ground. The A/C crashed in a field owned by Roger Dore (the now town mayor) (at the time 2000).

He managed to hide for the night. Met a women and a girl who gave him civi cloths. Then tried to find an evation route. Unfortunatly he was caught by the Gestapo. Sent to Bath Stalag ?

Dear all,

I lost my past word and link to site. Wasn't sure about the posts.. And all the other excuses I can come up with :oops:

630 Squadron Lancaster NE688 LE-R took of from East Kirkby to bomb Saint Leu d'Esserent (Leopold V1- Supply depot)

st-leu

Apart from F/O W.T Upton all the crew were killed. Their A/C crashed 11lm SSE of Magny en Vexin. The crew are buried at Omerville (Seine Oise) France.

In May 2000, Walter Upon returned to Omerville in search of the families which helped him escape.

" We were at 11 000 feet when we where hit by a Me109. There was a first explosion, the A/C caught fire. Then a second explosion and the A/C fell in to a dive.

Just before the A/C crashed, Walter at his radio position past over the pilot (dead) and managed to open the trp door. And jumped out just before hitting the ground. The A/C crashed in a field owned by Roger Dore (the now town mayor) (at the time 2000).

He managed to hide for the night. Met a women and a girl who gave him civi cloths. Then tried to find an evation route. Unfortunatly he was caught by the Gestapo. Sent to Bath Stalag ?

Interesting reading about Walter Upton - where did you get the information from??

Grenadier

Users who are viewing this thread

Back