Ok I crunched some more numbers, not finished and I was adding this stuff up late at night (it's 10 till midnight here) so forgive me if I made any arithmetic errors.
but I pulled the data I had on October from MAW II. Went through each day. My numbers are similar to Glider but slightly different.
I made a chart for each day which I will upload here when I figure out a relatively simple way to do it. These were my "rules" in compiling data.
- Aircraft which were FTR, MIA, "Shot down", "Bailed Out", or crash / force landed with 60% or more damage counted as shot down. Less than 60% were counted as 'crash landed'.
- Aircraft which were able to return to base and land without crashing were counted as 'damaged', and were not included in the totals on victory / losses.
- Did not count aircraft lost by collision with friendly aircraft, accident or Flak
- Ignored claims for 'probable' or 'damaged' unless there is a corresponding loss otherwise unaccounted for (i.e. He 111 shot down Oct 14 when Ju 88 claimed damaged by Hurricanes with no other Allied claims on that day, was attributed to the Hurricanes)
- Did not count losses with no corresponding claims (i.e. a MC 202 on Oct 13 'failed to return' but no DAF claims were made that day, so it was ignored)
It's worth pointing out that the last couple of weeks of October 1942 saw the beginning of the Battle of El Alamein, which is why the fighting was getting so intense.
CASUALTIES
Bf 109 - 34 shot down, 7 crash landed (I counted 3 Bf 109E, about 10 G, and the rest F)
MC 202 - 10 shot down, 8 crash landed
Cr 42 - 6 shot down, 4 crash landed
He 111 - 1
Ju 87 - 13
Ju 88 - 1
Ju 52 -3
Total fighters lost - 44 shot down, 19 crash landed
Total aircraft lost - 62 shot down, 19 crash landed
Spit V - 10 shot down, 1 crash landed
Spit IV (Recon) -1 shot down
US P-40F -3 shot down, 3 crash landed
Kittyhawk II* -7 shot down, 1 crash landed
Kittyhawk III** -13 shot down, 2 crash landed
Kittyhawk I -13 shot down, 5 crash landed
Tomahawk -3 shot down, 1 crash landed
Hurricane*** -17 shot down, 2 crash landed
A-20 / Boston -4 Shot down
B-25 -1 Shot down
Bisley - 1 Shot down
(Total P-40) - 39 shot down, 14 crash landed
Total fighters lost - 67 shot down, 17 crash landed
Total aircraft lost - 73 shot down, 17 crash landed
* RAF version of P-40F or P-40L
** RAF version of P-40K or M (I think mostly K)
*** these seemed to be all Hurricane IIc
Neither side seems to have lost a lot of bombers at this point (aside from Stukas), and I think that is because the most effective bombers in this Theater (aside from Stukas) in Oct 1942 were fighter bombers, at least for the allies. Basically the allies were using older model Kittyhakws and Hurricanes to do their bombing and the Luftwaffe were using mostly Stukas plus Ju 88's, Bf 109E, Cr 42 and MC 200.
The Germans / Italians came out slightly ahead on air-to-air combat during this month but they lost a lot more aircraft on the ground to bombing and strafing. A lot of the fights were taking place over their airfields.
CLAIMS
Total Claims by Spitfires - 31.5 Bf 109, 3 MC 202,1 1 Ju 52
Total Claims by RAF P-40's - 35.5 Bf 109, 11 MC 202, 9 Ju 87, 1 Ju 88, 1 Ju 52
Total Claims by US P-40's - 18 Bf 109, 7 MC 202, 4 Cr 42
Total Claims by Hurricanes - 3 Bf 109, 1 Cr 42, 7 Ju 87, 1 Ju 88
Total claims by P-40's 53.5
Total claims by allied fighters 85 (maybe somebody can figure out the overclaiming ratio I'm too tired)
Most of the RAF P-40 claims against bombers were by the Kittyhawk I's and Tomahawks.
I didn't count all the Luftwaffe and Regia claims yet but they are very high, I think overclaiming more than the DAF was. I'll try to add those up tomorrow.
But from these numbers, I think we can conclude that the Spitfires did not shoot down most of the German & Italian fighters, also it's clear that the US fighters did play an important role that month, if not as much as they would later on.
Further breaking down the RAF P-40's,:
Total claims by Kittyhawk II - 9
Total claims by Kittyhawk III -15.5
Total claims by Kittyhawk I -8
Total claims by Tomahawk- 3
Total claims by late model P-40's (including US P-40F) 32.5
Total claims by early model P-40's (P-40E and C) 11
I'm pointing this out because I believe the earlier model P-40s were by this point a step behind the Bf 109F or G, or the MC 202. Bu the later model P-40s were basically equal, at least in terms of outcomes.
It's worth noting that I believe by this point all of the early model P-40s were SAAF. (I'd have to double check that to be certain.) They seemed to have the short end of the stick when it came to planes.
My interpretation of the charts is that the Hurricanes and early model P-40's were doing the dirty work and suffering badly as a result, strafing and attacking the enemy bombers, while the later model P-40's, especially the US 57 FG P-40Fand Kittyhawk II took on the enemy fighters, (along with the Spitfires - but Spitfires weren't in action every day of the month, or at least, they only made claims on half of the days). Kittyhawk III / P-40K were used for fighter bomber missions more but were also taking on the Bf 109s at every opportunity, covering for the Hurricanes and Kittyhawk I's, and doing damage to the Bf 109s. They also seemed to get into fights with the MC202 more often than the other types.
Finally (for now), on each day's action, the Germans reported what aircraft type shot down their lost planes, if they could. So I went through and counted these for October 1942.
Number of times German records reported their aircraft as "Shot down by P-40" or "After combat with P-40" etc., 11
Number of times German records mention being shot down by Spitfires 2
Number of times German records mention being shot down by Hurricanes 1
Number of days US P-40 pilots (all from 57th Fighter Group) made claims in October 1942: 9
Number of days Spitfire pilots made claims in October 1942 : 15
Number of days RAF / Commonwealth P-40 pilots made claims: 16
Number of days Hurricane pilots made claims : 4
Number of days P-40's altogether made claims: 25
All in all, I would say that this data refutes the notion suggested by Glider that the Spits were bearing the brunt of the Luftwaffe / Axis fighters during Oct 1942. The Spits took fewer losses, but they were only "in the action" (making claims) half the time.
When I get a chance I'll upload my charts and I think you'll see that the late model P-40s were holding their own pretty well. I also think it's clear that the Axis side actually overclaimed a lot more.
More to come....
S