Bf-109 vs. Spitfire....

Which Series of Craft Wins the Fight.... Bf-109 or the Spitfire???

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I knew that old Chinese crap was useless... the only one i have in mind is that ive seen in books that Griffon engined models had so much torque

Yes they did, and in the opposite direction to the Merlin powered marks. That is, the propeller shaft rotated in the opposite direction. This alone made conversion a bit of a bitch for the more veteran Spit pilots.

I don't hear very often about all the successes the Luft had when it moved out to the ost front and the British began attacking then getting shot down by elites

and did the Spit have alot of landing accidents too? i mean its landing gear was narrow too, what was the difference in their accident records and why?

nevermind

well, it probably would have been worse had they been mounted in the wings
I have read that the 109 had very thin wings and mounting the landing gear in the wings would have needed alot of strengthening?

In terms of engine power, who had the better engine? the 109's DB601 or the Spit's Merlin? and what were the + and - of the inverted vee engine?

damn... so many questions

The Spitfire had a low landing speed compared to a lot of the fighters in World War II, which gave it an advantage in landing. It also had a good, early, stall warning. It did, however, have a narrow track which made ground handling difficult and did cause accidents. But the Bf-109 had the same problem with the added dread of the toe-out configuration. This meant that when touching down in a Bf-109 you really had to make sure both wheels hit at the same time to avoid a great risk of flipping the plane over. This problem did not exist in the Spitfire, or was at least no great than any other fighter.

The first meeting between Spitfire and Bf-109 was when the Bf-109 had reached it's fourth mark, and third engine. It was then the Bf-109E-1/3 with the DB601A rated at 1,150 HP. The opposing Spitfire Mk.I had the Merlin II rated at 1,060 HP. In power alone, the Bf-109 had the advantage in power.

wow, more ppl actually voted for the 109 than i thought...
were the wing mounted pea shooters and cannons better than the
109's straight-line armament?

I agree, I think the armament thing is pretty much based off of own oppinion. I think some preferred the central armamment and some preferred the wing armament. There are deffinate advantages to both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back