Biplane Fighters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

sadly though the events of may 17th wasn't the only time mistakes were made early on or baisically entire squadrons were wiped out in one go........

I know. I'm reading about the sad stories at the moment. Some, looking back, are rather comical though. Like a Whitley (If I remember correctly) landing in Germany, and thinking they were in France began talking to the locals. The German army quickly learned of their presence and the RAF crew, luckily, discovered the situation was hostile and got back in the plane and took off in a hail of rifle fire. With the tank almost empty, they ran on the fumes to land safely in Belgium.

plan_D said:
DW, have you got any information on the Italian interceptions of RAF bombers in 1940? I understand that as soon as Italy declared war in June, Bomber Command began sending bombers over the Alps. How did they fare in Italian skies?

I've only two episodes.

Surely there were many others I don't know, but the major part of the fighters in northern Italy didn't saw action at all during the first monts of the war, while the clashes over North Africa and East Africa were fiercer from the beginning.

DogW

I am trying to do some research on the Italian units that fought in the BoB. Does anyone know how successful they were? I dont think they were very but I am not sure.

Users who are viewing this thread