Birds of Prey

Discussion in 'IL-2 Sturmovik Pilot's Lounge' started by Smokey, Jun 7, 2008.

1. Smokey

Smokey Member

2. kool kitty89

kool kitty89 Well-Known Member

So, is that using the SoW engine? Or is it a further update to Il-2. (compatable)

3. kool kitty89

Ok, it's a console game: IGN: IL-2: Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

Xbox-360, PS-3, Wii. Will probably be released on PC as well.

IGN: 1C Launches Console Development

But note, although there is a non-realistic physics "arcade" mode, there is also a hardcore realism mode similar to the PC game. (possibly with custom difficulties like in the PC?)

IGN: IL-2: Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Preview

And another video:
    IGN Video: IL-2: Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Xbox 360 Trailer - Dog Fight

4. Smokey

Smokey Member

Birds of Prey appears to be based on the Il2 engine rather than the Storm of War engine, and in the most diffficukt mode there is a cockpit only view

5. kool kitty89

Looks like they updated the graphics and damage modeling quite a bit though. (damage is rendered in real time, where bullets actually hit, like in SoW)

Interesting concept for the console world though. (I just hope the controls on the Wii are decent, unlike other flight sims so far, otherwise I hope it comes out on PC, likely but probably later)

6. kool kitty89

And a high res version of the video, on IGN: IGN Video: IL-2: Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Xbox 360 Trailer - Dog Fight

And on the engine:
    IGN: IL-2: Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Preview

7. ONE_HELLCAT

ONE_HELLCAT Member

Student
    My, my. You're telling me the 360 and Wii will be getting a good airplane game?! I hope they don't screw the controls and make it too arcade style. I hated that in Blazing Angels. I hope this game turns out well, consoles have disappointed me too much.

8. kool kitty89

Particularly the Wii's controls were the worst, for Blazing angels. (though even on the PC it was a bit annoying -not a good set-up for a joystick- no independant rudder control, no throttle -just fast, normal, slow- and no cocpit view) They fixed some of that in BA 2.

I do hope BoP comes out for PC as well though, especially if the Wii version's controls suck. (I have a Wii) (they really need some kind of joystick attachment for the Wii remote)

And here's a good note: IGN: IL-2: Sturmovik: Birds of Prey Preview
    Quite a refreshing concept.

9. ONE_HELLCAT

ONE_HELLCAT Member

Student
    I actually disagree. I, too, own a Wii, and I don't see a need for a peripheral for flight controls, I just see a bunch of companies making crappy games for a quick, cheap buck. Since the motion controls were announced I've been thinking it over. I had something somewhere for it, but I can't seem to find what I'd consider to be ideal controls on the Wii at the moment. Last night I made a set for the 360, though.

Anyway, I'm glad it's a sim first, arcade second. I have high hopes for it.

10. kool kitty89

I think I'll have to agree. The potential is there for good control arangements on the standard controlers, but in some cases this is far off. (in addition to the game's control arrangement and set-up in general being not that great, in the case of BA)

I have high hopes as well.

11. kool kitty89

Old thread, but it seems like no one has noted that this was finally released and it did get a PC release too a few months later (last December).

I haven't played it yet (I don't think my current PC is very suited either), but it looks interesting. Keeps a lot of the realism side of the series but adds more to the game side with a more cinematic feel (engaging voice acting, a plot, soundtrack, dynamic chase view option, etc), so not quite as much in the hardcore simulation style as the original series.
    There's also a less realistic arcade style mode that breaks away a lot further with far more forgiving controls (though I don't think it's too far from turning the difficulty options low in the previous games -apart from things like the chase view option and way points)
    Not sure about the damage modeling, but it seems pretty detailed, though perhaps not as big a jump as the graphical enhancement.

In some ways it seems more like the more game-like flight sim games if that makes sense: like Secret Weapons over Normandy: interactive plot with characters, musical soundtrack, etc, but also seems to keep fairly close with the detail and realism of the original games, but not so much of the dry realistic simulation. (compared to SWON or Blazing Angels with very arcade style gameplay and far more poetic license with the fictional character storyline)
    So that should be interesting.