BMW 801 Kommandogerat

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Akuma

Airman 1st Class
May 26, 2021
If a computer is a device that uses inputs to generate outputs Could the Kommandogerat used on the FW-190 be considered as a primitive form of electro-hydraulic-mechanical computer? Addition to this question; Were there any other aircraft previous to this that had a comparable system?

Last edited:
Hi,

the BMW 801 Kommandogerät was a very advanced mechanical - hydraulic computer, that made "one lever" action possible. This means that the pilot only had one lever-throttle- to operate and not mixture, propeller pitch etc.

The Kommandogerät was controlling the mixture, the ignition timing, the propeller pitch and the compressor speed.

As far as I have been able to ascertain, the Fw190 was the first production aircraft to use such a system, however, it seems that Bramo actually did a lot of the early development on the Kommandogerat, which BMW later got when the absorbed Bramo. I`m not sure what the exact proportions of work done by each firm on the unit were, but BMW did a lot of work, so it was more than just copying the Bramo drawings.

Here is a nice image which Tom Fey posted elsewhere on this forum some time ago. The image itself is from the Aircraft Engine Historical Society.
AEHS Home

TA152 and FW190-Series Aircraft Stabilisation and Engine Management Systems.......

Great info on the Kommandogerat. How does this system stack up as a technological advance as compared to, say the autopilot? Were autopilots being used in fighters during WWII? I ask this to try to determine roughly how far along the scale of aviation technology the FW-190 was in terms of aircraft design.

I think the night-fighter versions of the FW190 were equipped with a Patin autopilot, and also some of the long-range (or all-weather) fighter-bomber versions. Day fighters and the F series didn't have an autopilot in view of how short their sorties were. The FW190 was not revolutionary as an airframe for its time but certainly a very competent design. The advanced features were in the equipment, such as electrically push-button-actuated flaps and landing gear as well as the Kommandogerät which enormously eased power management for the pilot. The DB 603 and 605 and the Jumo 213 had a similar system although it was not packed into a single box as in the BMW engine. You might call such systems Full-Authority Analogue Engine Controls (FAAEC) in analogy to the now-usual FADEC engine management systems, as the pilot had only the throttle and manual propeller-pitch control which was used only for take-off and otherwise left in AUTO. The USN test pilots who flew the first FW190 in US hands complained that this system did not allow them to micro-manage the engine; obviously none of them had flown a multi-engine plane in air combat. I believe P38 pilots would have appreciated such a device.

Users who are viewing this thread