Bomber command plane you would fly.

Which bomber command plane would you fly if you had the choice?

• Stirling

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Whitley

• Blenheim

• Hampden

• Wellington

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

A lad walked into a prop at Aldergrove when my dad was there ... "quite the mess" in his words. I'll have to ask the aircraft it was.

Flying any bomber during daylight in 1940 was practically suicide ... although not 1940, it's early on Bomber Command -

4th September, 1939, fifteen Blenheims and fourteen Wellingtons attacked Brunsbuttel naval base and warships in Schilling Roads. Several Blenheims attacked Admiral Scheer with 500 lbs. bombs which bounced harmlessly off the deck. And other Blenheims attacked various other German vessels, out of ten in the first wave five were shot down. The second Blenheim wave of five failed to find target, and turned home without attacking. The Wellingtons went for Brunsbuttel, no damage worth mentioning was done and two were lost. Out of twenty-four aircraft, five Blenheims and two Wellingtons were lost ... for nothing.

Good info there pD.

As for the bomber command bomber that I would fly, it would still be the Lancaster. When I think of bombers I still think of the heavy 4 engine bombers and for the RAF it is the Lancaster for me.

Lanc what not fight? I would have thought that you might with me picking a Halifax.

Dear Adler, the two engine ones did a lot of work, but the Lanc, got a larger then it share of the promotion. ;)

MP-Willow said:
Dear Adler, the two engine ones did a lot of work, but the Lanc, got a larger then it share of the promotion. ;)

Yes but that is why I said
When I think of bombers I still think of the heavy 4 engine bombers
. That was an opinion of mine. I did not say that 2 engines bombers did not do a big share of the job, just that when I think of bombers I like to think of the 4 engined one. :D

Dear Adler, I do not mean to upset you. I think most people think of the 4 engine heavies when bomber comand is spoken about as do I.

So I will say another bomber, the B-24, Liberator MkII ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back