Boulton Paul Defiant Shark mouth

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

SirFrancis

Airman 1st Class
Feb 10, 2022
Hey guys,

Just building the Airfix 1/72 BPD. I'm doing the Night fighter scheme. I've noticed so much box art and decals and even the diecast models - many with the shark mouth. However I've being scouring the net for photos of original BPD and have not seen a single one with the sharks mouth. It looks ok but I draw the line at non-historical schemes. Any feedback on this guys? thanks in advance, cheers

A quick Google found this immediately. Sharkmouth Defiant target tower in US markings

And this nightfighter of 151 squadron

A quick Google found this immediately. Sharkmouth Defiant target tower in US markings

Well there you go! 151 squadron with Sharks mouth... spot on ... I'm still not sure whether I'll go with or without but now I know it was legit! thanks very much.

Yes I had no idea they were used by USAAF, you learn something everyday...

Well there you go! 151 squadron with Sharks mouth... spot on ... I'm still not sure whether I'll go with or without but now I know it was legit! thanks very much.

Just found that same photo with a caption that says the sharks mouth was 'thought to have been unique' to aircraft N3328 DZ-Z. Lucky the Airfix kit has markings for DZ-Z! The only other decals in the kit are for a day fighter 264 squadron. So since I've already painted it black, looks like I'll have to put the shark grin on if I want to be historically accurate! Decision made.... lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back