Finnish AF 109G's with shark mouth... (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

juhaerik

Airman
Mar 18, 2007
Dear All,

I bumped to a model box art where three FAF 109G6's were flying with shark mouths painted under the noses. The one with decals, I believe is MT-422, making it G6.

Now I have not seen ever this kind of paint job on a Finnish G6 - thus my question : has box artist used his imagination or did these planes with shark noses exist ?

Please let me know, very curious about this.

I think the box was an Airfix 1:72...

BR

Juha Luukka

I can't recall myself a such kind of the art on the top box, especially by Airfix.According to a book about the Finnish Air Force the only known use of the shark mouth marking on Finnish WW2 plane was the Morane Soulnier MS.406 no.MS-311.

Attachments

• Finnish Ms406 sharkmouth.jpg
    Finnish Ms406 sharkmouth.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 555
Ok, is it just me, or does that pic look ridiculous with the shark teeth.

Another question about this.......do we know what was the first plane/squadron to use the shark teeth?

Hi again,

I looked this up from Airfix.com and there is one in 1:72 (A02029) - and if this is real depiction I'm sure gonna get one...

Rgds,

Juha Luukka

From wings palette...

88_4.gif

Unit: Night Fighter Flight, HLeLv 31
Serial: MT-422
Utti, circa 1948.

Another question about this.......do we know what was the first plane/squadron to use the shark teeth?

wings palette quotes source from 'Sharkmouth 1916-1945' Illustrated and compiled by Richard Ward, Aircam Aviation Series No.S3 (Vol.1), Osprey Publishing Limited

So it looks like there were sharkmouth painted birds in WW1.

Last edited:
Dear All,

Thank You - I'm now clear about this "my mystery"...

Best Regards,

Juha Luukka

Ok, is it just me, or does that pic look ridiculous with the shark teeth.

Scandanavians have sort of a traditional art form, and that looks about right.

The first plane that I know of that had a shark's mouth on it, was a Roland C.II (Walfisch) used by Imperial Germany during WWI. They used to paint various mouths eyes on them, some had teeth and some didn't.

Bf-109 g6 with shark mouth now that is cool :) i have a pic of a 109 with shark mouth but its a D1

The shark mouth did indeed exist, i have one image showing the forward portion of a G-6 with trop filter carrying the Shark mouth, noted as MT422 but the code is not visible.

Hi Wayne
I'm about to start this Airfix kit, would you be able to show me (post) the above mentioned photograph? I couldn't find any photo of this airplane only the same profile shown here, however I've read that the shark mouth and the bat of the fuselage never occurred in the same time, so a photo would be great.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Cheers
Paulo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back