Brave Doesn’t Begin to Describe it

buffnut453

Captain
8,665
15,298
Joined
Jul 25, 2007
Location
Shropshire, England
Stumbled across this piece of history that was entirely new to me. Simply AMAZING:


What a tragedy that he was taken by the 1918 flu pandemic, and at such a young age.
 
Makes me want to find a kit of the Big Ack and paint it in the markings of McLeod's and Hammond's aircraft.
 
There was a photo, though I can't find it now frustratingly, of 4 - 5 men standing together on a trench top from WW! and every one of them had the VC.
 
A painting was done of this action. I remember it well. My dad cut the full-page illustration from a magazine and glued it in the inside cover of a kids book on avaition I had back in the early 1960s. It showed the pilot standing on the left lower wing reaching into the cockpit working the controls while the plane was on fire. I recall that it was a two seater of an uncommon type.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back