Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Negative RO-B RO-E ,

I found RO-B is 67 SQN W8243 Mingaladon airbase near Rangoon

seller Bought from estate. Belonged to ace Chuck Older. Complete roll in canister. Most likely taken shortly after arrival in Burma

1649327306165.png

1649327498925.png

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Negative RO-B RO-E ,

I found RO-B is 67 SQN W8243 Mingaladon airbase near Rangoon

seller Bought from estate. Belonged to ace Chuck Older. Complete roll in canister. Most likely taken shortly after arrival in Burma

View attachment 664005

View attachment 664006

Wow! Thanks for sharing those pics. I hadn't seen the image of RD-E before. I've been tracking the individual airframe histories for over 20 years now, to include efforts to tie squadron code letters to serial numbers. I'm working from memory but I'm pretty certain this is the first time I've seen a clear photo of RD-E clearly which appears to show the serial number W8250. Looks like another tie-up is completed.

RAF AS430

View attachment 657235
Another sighting of AS430

1651437373076.png

Duke of Kent.

photo---buffalo-brewster-duke-of-kent_18739_main_size3.jpg

Another sighting of AS430

1651437373076-png.png

AS430 was the third Buffalo to arrive in the UK for testing with the A&AEE, the first being from Belgian supply, AS412 suffered engine failure, AS425 was found to have structural damage and so AS430 arrived in August 1940 before it collided with a Handley Page Hampden during an air to air photo sortie in October 1940. The pilot bailed out.

A performance report dated July 1941 came from information gleaned from all three aircraft, which stated that performance was not outstanding, although take-off run with flap was only 215 yds. Carbon monoxide levels in the cockpit were dangerously high and the fitting of fishtail exhausts didn't help, but improved flame dampening. It was easy to load the aircraft to an aft CG position, so recommendations were made for in service to prevent the CG from creeping too far aft through incorrect loading. Gunnery trials information appears to be scant, but firing appeared to be satisfactory, although rearming the wing guns was considered awkward and firing the fuselage guns at low altitude (not at high altitude?) caused oil to flow onto the windscreen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back