British B-24 with mods. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

MacArther

Staff Sergeant
Sep 19, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
www.edge-gamers.com
I'm talking about the B-24's the British used for long range ocean patrol and anti-submarine duty. I'm particularly interested in the four pack of 20mms placed in the belly (bomb bay), as well as stores that would be used if these guns were in place.

I'm talking about the B-24's the British used for long range ocean patrol and anti-submarine duty. I'm particularly interested in the four pack of 20mms placed in the belly (bomb bay), as well as stores that would be used if these guns were in place.

Here is what little info Ive found so far including this poor quality drawing and picture. You can barely make out the 20mm gun pod under the fuselage.

Used as long range anti sub patrol aircraft by the British. Mounted 4 under fuselage 20mm cannon, ASV radar aerials and depth charge racks in the bomb bay and went to costal commands 120th squadron against U-boats

Attachments

• 24.JPG
    24.JPG
    18.2 KB · Views: 251
  • B-24.JPG
    B-24.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 299
Was able to find these pictures. Little better in quality and shows a better view of the 20mm gun blister.

Attachments

• lib.jpg
    lib.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 286
  • 12.JPG
    12.JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 202
Yet another one and more info

The liberator Type I as this series was called carried 6 to 8 depth charges of 250lbs with 6 303cal machine guns plus the 4 20mm cannon on 16 hour patrols. They carried either the ASV Mark III or Mark IV radar.

Attachments

• liberator.JPG
    liberator.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 277
There was also an RAF mod to one B-24D equivalent (a GR V?) with 4 x RPs braced off either side of the nose that was to have been used in anti-submarine attacks so, presumably, 25 lb AP warheads would have been used.......
Can't find the picture I know I have somewhere. Alan Blue's book 'The B-24 Liberator' (now there's an original title!) is full of dozens of B-24 mods, Brit and Yank.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back