British Bomb dimensions (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

NachtPiloten

Recruit
Oct 2, 2006
Hello -

I have searched a bit on the web and cannot find the dimensions of the bombs used by the British. Trying to make proper scaled bombs. Any ideas?

Need specifically 250, 500, 1000, 2000, 4000 cookie, 8000 cookie, and incendiaries, if possible. Thanks!!!

Good stuff Paul. Coincidentally, I've been trying to establish the dimensions of the SBC, for the two main types of incendiary. There are no complete examples of the SBC left, and very few detailed pictures, but, from the little info I have, and working from known dimensions of the incendiary bombs, the containers were approximately 66 inches by 20 inches by 20 inches. Hope this helps also.

Good stuff Paul. Coincidentally, I've been trying to establish the dimensions of the SBC, for the two main types of incendiary. There are no complete examples of the SBC left, and very few detailed pictures, but, from the little info I have, and working from known dimensions of the incendiary bombs, the containers were approximately 66 inches by 20 inches by 20 inches. Hope this helps also.

Thanks Terry,

They might have what you want here but if I come across anything I will let you know :)

Thanks Paul. In my case, when making the SBCs in 1/72nd scale, the info I have is sufficient, as most of the containers will be in the bomb bays ( of the Halifax), with two or three on trollies, so as long as they look 'right', I'll be happy.

Thanks Paul. In my case, when making the SBCs in 1/72nd scale, the info I have is sufficient, as most of the containers will be in the bomb bays ( of the Halifax), with two or three on trollies, so as long as they look 'right', I'll be happy.

Hi Terry,
Do you mean this type of container...I'm not that familiar with the container types. This one was found during the recovery of a Wellington.
Cheers,
Sander

Attachments

• Wellington container 4.jpg
    Wellington container 4.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 179
Thanks Sander. from what I can make out, that looks like the top section of the SBC, with the attachment brackets for the bomb carrier. The complete unit would have end panel sections, and open-framed sides and bottom. The container itself was shackled in the bomb bay - when released, the bottom dropped open, spilling out the incendiaries, and the now empty SBC remained on the aircraft, to be used 'another day'.
If you can confirm the length and width, that would be extremely useful.

Thank you very much Sander. This will really help in making a number of these for the Halifax diorama I'm working on, for Mike Harrison, nephew of one of the crew of the 76 Sqn Halifax MkIII lost to a Me410 intruder near Cambridge, 25th April, 1944.
If it's not too much trouble, a photo of the top surface of the container, showing the attachment bracket, would be helpful.
Thanks again.

Hi Terry,
Pics from top and right hand side.
Dimensions:
Length: 169cm(66.54inch)
Width:25cm(9.48inch) (measured from outside to outside of the container)
Height:19cm(7.48inch)

Of course the container is damaged but I took the measurements from the most intact parts of the container so that the difference is minimal.
Hope it helps...if you need more pics or measurements let me know.
Cheers,
Sander

Attachments

• IMGP0263_1.jpg
    IMGP0263_1.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 157
  • IMGP0255_1.jpg
    IMGP0255_1.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 143
  • IMGP0256_1.jpg
    IMGP0256_1.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 136
  • IMGP0257_1.jpg
    IMGP0257_1.jpg
    254.2 KB · Views: 148
  • IMGP0258_1.jpg
    IMGP0258_1.jpg
    269.9 KB · Views: 147
  • IMGP0259_1.jpg
    IMGP0259_1.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 153
  • IMGP0260_1.jpg
    IMGP0260_1.jpg
    242.1 KB · Views: 147
  • IMGP0261.JPG
    IMGP0261.JPG
    777 KB · Views: 139
  • IMGP0261_1.jpg
    IMGP0261_1.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 147
  • IMGP0262_1.jpg
    IMGP0262_1.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
Thanks very much indeed Sander! This is extremely useful information, and it's very good of you to take the time to get the photos and measurements.
The width seems slightly at odds with the assumed dimensions, working from photos of complete examples in WW2, but I'll re-check some photos, as it would correspnd to three tiers of incendiaries. The height works out well, allowing for the open frames on the sides to give overall depth. The rusted brackets on the side would, I think, be the attachment points for these frames.
The puzzling thing is the colour, as SBCs were normally bare metal, anodised, or a grey colour. I'm wondering if it's the lesser-used container, which was black, and released with the load. Can't remember the exact name of it, but from what I've seen, it resembled what you have.
Thanks very much again for your time and effort - I owe you one!

Just checked a load of photos, and it is a standard SBC. I was wrong with my assumption on the width, and the sides of the container were also sheet metal, with the open frame metal 'straps' along the bottom only. It was these which 'fell open' to release the ordnance.
Photos from the early war period show containers in either grey or bare metal anodised, and also black, like the one you posted, whilst later war examples appear to be bare metal/grey in the main.
Thanks again Sander - now all I have to do is make 15 of these, in 1/72nd scale !

It's quite interesting: The British seem to build their bombs smaller than ours in skinniness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back