British Universal Bomb Carriers

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Crimea_River

Marshal
Nov 16, 2008
Calgary
I posted this over at Britmodeller as well and will cross-pollinate any info received in either place

I'm in need of some basic information on the types of UBCs carried on British planes in WW2. I'm modelling Mosquito "Hairless Joe" over in the GB threads and have run into a situation where the kit-supplied UBCs are very rudimentary and in dire need of upgrading. I have found another set on my Revell B. IV that look a lot beefier but that have much more detail. The two look quite different and it makes me wonder how "universal" these things really were, or are Tamiya and Revell just winging it a bit. Here's a pic, Tamiya at bottom, Revell at top:

20012001-jpg.jpg

What I really need is if someone could post some good pictures or steer me to a reference that describes these things in detail. I'm a decent scratch builder and want to make them look correct for my model. I want to have the model fitted out to carry the 500 pound bombs but will not install the bombs so the details on the two UBCs will be visible and important. The only pictures that I've been able to find on the net are a few at Spitfirespares.com, with one example below:

rs=w:600,h:600.jpg

I also have this on file, which seems to show the Mosquito-specific installation that I need. There seem to be some plates riveted to the longitudinal frame of the UBC making it look wider like the Revell one above.

15123022025_03847e6e3d_c-jpg.jpg

I also know there were several Marks of UBCs and am not sure which one(s) would be correct for my late 1944 model. Dimensioned drawings would be ideal. Can anyone help?

I also know there were several Marks of UBCs and am not sure which one(s) would be correct for my late 1944 model.

Hi Andy. I have schematics for the Mk.I carrier and descriptions outlining the differences between Mk.I, Mk.II and Mk.III - but as you say, based on the Mosquito photo above, it looks quite different with curved crutch arms.

Bomb.PNG
Scan0233.jpg
Scan0234.jpg

Thanks everyone.

Geo, Karl, yes, I saw that document but gave it a pass seeing as how it was a US document. The little electrical boxes fore and aft of the stabilizers seem to be in a different place than the on the few that I've seen. Here's another Pic from the Spitfirepares site:

rs=w:600,h:600.jpg

Graeme, great pic and references but I do think it's a different beast. If you have info on the other Marks I wouldn't mind seeing it.

1579770039044.png

From Mosquito Mk. VI Bomb and Pyrotechnic Installation, Report 1. AVIA 18/982

1579770455361.png

From Check Trial of Bomb and Pyrotechnic Installation Mosquito B.Mark XX VB 328. AVIA 18/982

1579770691529.png

From Mosquito Bombing and Pyrotechnic Installation, Report 7. Installation of 250lb Depth Charge MkXI on Mosquito HR 135. AVIA 18/982

These in the UK Archives may be of use:
250/1000 lb Avro universal bomb carrier Mk. II: acceptance trials | The National Archives
Search results: universal bomb carrier | The National Archives

Thanks everyone. Karl, I think I know that Canadian guy. Handsome and smart, with many other sterling qualities/

Wuzak, thanks for that. Now I need a good picture of a Handley Page Universal Carrier. Maybe it's one that's already been posted but I wouldn't know.

Thanks very much Graeme. The thing that this thread revealed to me is the myriad of "Universal" carriers!

Thanks very much Graeme. The thing that this thread revealed to me is the myriad of "Universal" carriers!

You are right on that. I have seen at least four different lengths and some have long tapers at the ends

Attached are what docs I have - AP 1664 photos were taken at UKPRO many years back

Happy hunting

Attachments

• AP 1664 v1 app1.pdf
    32.4 MB · Views: 358
  • RAAF bits.pdf
    93.7 MB · Views: 340
  • AP 1664 v1 c2.pdf
    57 MB · Views: 296

Users who are viewing this thread

Back