Britishness

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I will carry on the harsh judgement of my father and, more importantly (for the time), my grandfather. While lads were on the frontlines, in the air and sailing the oceans to defend Great Britain - those down the mines went on strike - whichever way you cut it, it's a disgrace.

The Victorian Era, and pre-Victorian, are different entirely from World War II - entirely for our defence. The common man still found pride in his nation; even when it came from hatred of another during the youth of England and Great Britain.

You, with a modern mind, may not find it right to expand an Empire - but obviously people did back then. Probably for the money...and to get away from their screeching toothless wives! :lol:

Gentlemen, I don't think Adler said anything about if the songs were against or for the IRA, just songs about the them.....
I'm sure that he knows that IRA was a terrorist organisation....

Yeh...point taken
I wasn't trying to be judgemental...and I know what its like being in a pub with Guiness and Whiskey..!

That's alright mate....I know how it is myself.....easy enough to get carried away....:lol: Before when I was out in the delivery vans (thank God I'm not doing that anymore) I was every so often out with agency boys and/or drivers and I don't know how many times I've had to listen to IRA and UVF tapes in the cab.... To say that I was uncomfortable is an understatement....:lol: Well, as an apology to those that have been in the middled of this I can only say as outsider I'll never understand how it was.

I'm a bit surprised Adler....the IRA killed many of our service men...
They also killed many policemen,women and children...( English and Irish )

The Irish were drunk and singing songs that had the words IRA in it. They were having a good time and frankly the whole pub was.

No one was going "Hey lets sing songs about ****ing killing the British!"

"YEEEEAAAAHHHH"

CRASHGATE3 said:
Sorry to get heavy on this (I also like the Irish ) but the IRA were a terrorist organisation

No ****, did I say I supported them?

When will there be drinking songs about Al Qaeda?

Mooslims don't drink.

Whisky in the Jar is a cool song...someone said to Phil Lynott what's it like to be black and Irish...he said it was like being a pint of Guinness! Thin Lizzie rule!

Mooslims don't drink.

Whisky in the Jar is a cool song...someone said to Phil Lynott what's it like to be black and Irish...he said it was like being a pint of Guinness! Thin Lizzie rule!

I was just making a point about how the IRA in all its brutality can be playfully woven into drinking songs, when will Al Qeda be a memory living only in songs and jokes..

Metallica - Whiskey In The Jar

I like this version:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cswkEL1O4Hk

Yeah but Metallica aint Irish.

Gotta be Irish to do Irish folk songs proper. Hidden meanin and all dat.

Kinda terrorism related as the song is about shooting and robbing people.

I was been humour with ya Comiso. That suppose to be big in UK...humour, see?

I have a noo thingy...the English language...the greatest gift to the world. People may be speaking French otherways and that would be awful. Don't mind Spanish so much. Wish I could speak it better but not much call for it.

I was been humour with ya Comiso. That suppose to be big in UK...humour, see?

The problem is that you spell it wrong... thats why I didnt catch it...

its humor not humour....

:lol:

Is your spell checker working there Comiso? Seemed to have got one passed. That would be a red cross on my spelling test.

Habor...tumor...color...armor...

And I thought you Americanos spoke the English!

I'm an outsider, but just to point out - the IRA did not always function the way it did in the latter part of the 20th century. They were a uniformed entity and saw themselves as legitimate. Whether you view them as legit, or the UK is another matter. Although such actions of the IRA cannot be justified, much can be said about the method in which the UK administered the whole island and also the north that contributed towards the conflict's development. The IRA did not exist in a vacuum. You'll also note that throughout the 20th century as their attacks became much more careless and accrued more and more collateral damage and victims their support weakened - both in Eire and in the US (particularly the Northeast which has millions of Irish and Irish decent.)

I have no probs discussing the IRA or whatever as part of historical fact.

But they were a terrorist organization who killed children. If you don't believe then Google warrington IRA and bomb and believe. I am originally from there so know me stuff.

Anyone who can justify the killing of children as part of a cause aint right.

A bit exhausted to read all of the thread.

The most amazing thing I encountered in London in fall of 2003 was that there was a great Sushi bar-stand located at the center of a large floor at Paddington railway station where Mr. Sherlock Holmes was supposed to be standing on. I strongly wished we'd have one nearby back home. Almost of all other things in Britain were okay with me.

Autumn not Fall.

Not very British a Sushi bar! You need some fish and chips plus something deep fried.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back