Build Another An-225?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I'd think that money would be put to better use rebuilding the homes and workplaces of Ukrainians.
Aircraft manufacturing facilities are workplaces, and how many would it employ?

Personally, I'm skeptical that there is enough work for this aircraft to justify production of a new one. However, that sort of decision is above my pay grade.

Well, there were some missions that only the An-225 could perform, even though it original purpose of hauling the Soviet Shuttle components is not longer required. Lockheed Skunk Works determined it was the only aircraft that could haul the X-33, and since they could not ensure that they could get the aircraft they came up with a ridiculous scheme of hauling the X-33 across country by roads. My recommendation to fly it from the Cape and transport it by water was ignored since the NASA program office specified that it launch from Edwards. Admittedly, any more no one is even talking about building something as stupid in concept as the Space Shuttle or its proposed single stage to orbit replacement derived from the X-33.

The AN-124 is far more limited than the An-225, but there are still some cargo missions that they can perform better than anything else. Back in the early 90's the USAF needed to haul replacement equipment and a temporary station to the satellite network ground station in the Seychelles Islands. The contractor responsible for the upgrade found it would take two C-141 flights as well as a C-5 flight and instead chose to hire an AN-124. There are some C-5's modified by the removal of the rear upper passenger area to take outsize cargo but they are not available to haul all outsize commercial cargos. The AN-124's are used to haul spacecraft for launch on space boosters.

Well, there were some missions that only the An-225 could perform, even though it original purpose of hauling the Soviet Shuttle components is not longer required. Lockheed Skunk Works determined it was the only aircraft that could haul the X-33, and since they could not ensure that they could get the aircraft they came up with a ridiculous scheme of hauling the X-33 across country by roads. My recommendation to fly it from the Cape and transport it by water was ignored since the NASA program office specified that it launch from Edwards. Admittedly, any more no one is even talking about building something as stupid in concept as the Space Shuttle or its proposed single stage to orbit replacement derived from the X-33.

The AN-124 is far more limited than the An-225, but there are still some cargo missions that they can perform better than anything else. Back in the early 90's the USAF needed to haul replacement equipment and a temporary station to the satellite network ground station in the Seychelles Islands. The contractor responsible for the upgrade found it would take two C-141 flights as well as a C-5 flight and instead chose to hire an AN-124. There are some C-5's modified by the removal of the rear upper passenger area to take outsize cargo but they are not available to haul all outsize commercial cargos. The AN-124's are used to haul spacecraft for launch on space boosters.
Yes, there are some missions that only the AN225 can fly - no argument there. But, are there enough to justify the cost of the rebuild?
Every rebuild that I've had anything to do with has run 50-100% over budget.

However, that's not the only consideration: QF32 - the A-380 that had an engine disintegrate and lost multiple systems was deemed uneconomical to repair, but QANTAS repaired it anyway to maintain a no hull loss record.
IF it were repaired, it would be a symbolic middle finger to Russia. The economic stimulation of the Ukrainian aerospace industry isn't to be discounted either.

It's far too early to even be speculating on whether this aircraft type will ever fly again, and there are so many considerations that no-one has any comprehension of.

The AN-124's are used to haul spacecraft for launch on space boosters.

They're big fxxers, I remember getting a look around inside one once.

52100206370_7dbba18bff_b.jpg
Antonov Design Bureau

That won't exactly fit in the back of a pickup truck. I can't imagine how you would move it unless it was at a seaport and you had an aircraft carrier handy.

Why didn't they simply take it out of country for storage elsewhere? The border buildup by Russia took months, plenty of time to see the writing on the wall.
I believe President Zelenskyy didn't accept that Russia was going to invade until it did.

Why didn't they simply take it out of country for storage elsewhere? The border buildup by Russia took months, plenty of time to see the writing on the wall.
I think initially no one thought Putin would follow through. With that said, moving an aircraft like that requires resources, especially $$$. If the owner/ operators don't have the resources to move the aircraft, well it becomes a target, as it did sadly.

A wee bit more info on this, the second frame is believed to be at Sviatoshyn, not Hostomel, and reports state that it is okay.

Nevertheless, the following:

"Investigations into rebuilding the An-225 are being undertaken, including the possibilities of cannibalising the second, incomplete An-225, or salvaging the remnants of the first plane to finish the second. However, there are several obstacles to rebuilding. Many of the aircraft's Soviet-made components were from the 1980s and are no longer made. Engineers quote a price of US$350–500 million, although there is uncertainty regarding whether or not it would be commercially viable and worth the cost.[79] However, Andrii Sovenko, a former An-225 pilot and aviation author, said:[79]

It's impossible to talk about the repair or restoration of this aircraft -- we can only talk about the construction of another Mriya, using individual components that can be salvaged from the wreckage and combining them with those that were, back in the 1980s, intended for the construction of a second aircraft.

From here:

A wee bit more info on this, the second frame is believed to be at Sviatoshyn, not Hostomel, and reports state that it is okay.

Nevertheless, the following:

"Investigations into rebuilding the An-225 are being undertaken, including the possibilities of cannibalising the second, incomplete An-225, or salvaging the remnants of the first plane to finish the second. However, there are several obstacles to rebuilding. Many of the aircraft's Soviet-made components were from the 1980s and are no longer made. Engineers quote a price of US$350–500 million, although there is uncertainty regarding whether or not it would be commercially viable and worth the cost.[79] However, Andrii Sovenko, a former An-225 pilot and aviation author, said:[79]

From here:

Boeing should take the project on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back