Bunkers Found

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Went to Normandy back in 1994. The movies do not do justice to that beach. Omaha is a shooting gallery from the perspective of the Germans.

It's a decent up angle to the top of what I would guess is a 60ft rise. No cover (came in at low tide) and a good 1/4 mile of ground to cover before you even get to the dry sand. It's amazing any of them made it.

Scares me just trying to imagine covering that distance while under fire! Cannot imagine what was going through those brave men's minds.

Scares me just trying to imagine covering that distance while under fire! Cannot imagine what was going through those brave men's minds.

Yeah, tell me about. Absolute terror. I guess that's why they train so hard. So when the terror comes, you do as you are trained and just don't sit there dumbstruck.

Went to Normandy back in 1994. The movies do not do justice to that beach. Omaha is a shooting gallery from the perspective of the Germans.

It's a decent up angle to the top of what I would guess is a 60ft rise. No cover (came in at low tide) and a good 1/4 mile of ground to cover before you even get to the dry sand. It's amazing any of them made it.

I was there in 1994. My ROTC unit laid a wreath during the ceremony. I actually went to Normany on several occasions including 1994, 1997 and 1999. Me and my wife are going to try and get back there next summer.

You are correct though about how the movies do not do it justice. I remember walking down to the water and walking about a few meters and then running up the beach just to get a feel of what they saw. I can not even imagine what it must have been like under fire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back