Bunkers Found

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

When I was 7 I found a "Secret Nazi" Anti-invasion spike on a German beach...

By impaling my foot with it.... OW!

Too bad my parents didn't keep it as a souvenir....

Really freebird, what did that look like... not your foot who gives a rip... but rather the spike. :)

Really freebird, what did that look like... not your foot who gives a rip... but rather the spike. :)

Well I don't remember much, mostly a bawling kid getting his foot stiched up getting a tetanus shot! :D

Apparently it was buried in the sand/pebbles, I only steped down far enough to stick it in my foot perhaps 3/4 inch. Supposedly they put smaller spike belts on the best invasion beaches, to injure the soldiers wading up.

Well I don't remember much, mostly a bawling kid getting his foot stiched up getting a tetanus shot! :D

Apparently it was buried in the sand/pebbles, I only steped down far enough to stick it in my foot perhaps 3/4 inch. Supposedly they put smaller spike belts on the best invasion beaches, to injure the soldiers wading up.

3/4in is far enough. OUCH! Do you have any pics of what these spikes would look like before being set? Sounds like friggin' caltrops!

You should come here to Hoek van Holland, we have tons of the stuf. Mostly free to walk into, but take your torch.

Also we have a lot of bunkers here along Austrian,German and Polish boarder. Build in 30´s on order of Czechoslovakian goverment. Our soldiers had to leave them without fighting after Munich´s dictat in Sept. 1938.
A lot of them are accessible today and some of them are even for sale...
WWII bunkers for sale - 26-07-2005 13:15 UTC - Radio Prague

Hmmm, depending on the price, we could create a ww2aircraft hangout in the Czech Republic. What would be more appropriate than one of the bunkers?

Can ask for the price. Don´t think it will be too much, sure according the condition of the bunker...
But can tell ya the price of the beer on tap here- 1.25 dollar a beer. Was 0,75 dollar 2 years ago but with that dollar going down...anyway, the price for me in Czech crowns is still the same :)

These are virtually in my back yard. There are about 30 of these very near to my house:
4375008.jpg

Also we have a lot of bunkers here along Austrian,German and Polish boarder. Build in 30´s on order of Czechoslovakian goverment. Our soldiers had to leave them without fighting after Munich´s dictat in Sept. 1938.
A lot of them are accessible today and some of them are even for sale...
WWII bunkers for sale - 26-07-2005 13:15 UTC - Radio Prague

I have been trying to get over to the bunkers in the Czech for the last few months. I never make it!

Thanks for adding to the thread Ramirezzz. always great to see bunkers

A few months ago, I was in the old commandpost of the Civil rescue organisation, an organisation dedicated to emergency aid during bombing. It was dismatled after the cold war ended. Half of the bunker is an old German command bunker, the rest are newer ('70ies) atomic bunkers. Pics can be found Here: Index

The same for me. Wanted to visit Berchtesgaden this year but it looks bad. But next year I gotta make it. If you wanna see any bunker here, next spring would be good for me. If also for you, we will make it.

I will keep that in mind and see what we can do. I do not live very far from teh Czech border.

I heard about this on the radio from Paul Harvey. Stuff like this never happens in Iowa!

3/4in is far enough. OUCH! Do you have any pics of what these spikes would look like before being set? Sounds like friggin' caltrops!

Didn't make a detailed inspection at the time! :D :D

I don't remember, but the local doctor told my dad that they had found stuff on the beaches over the years, bits of rusty barbed wire etc.

I think the largest spikes were meant to impale boats, LCV's etc, and they set smaller spikes to catch men or inflatables coming ashore. I believe that they did not anticipate front-door LCV's, they probably expected small boats rubber rafts.

There were alot of bunkers/pillboxes above the beaches, so if they could snag incoming troops they had longer to fire on them before they got ashore.

Didn't make a detailed inspection at the time! :D :D

I don't remember, but the local doctor told my dad that they had found stuff on the beaches over the years, bits of rusty barbed wire etc.

I think the largest spikes were meant to impale boats, LCV's etc, and they set smaller spikes to catch men or inflatables coming ashore. I believe that they did not anticipate front-door LCV's, they probably expected small boats rubber rafts.

There were alot of bunkers/pillboxes above the beaches, so if they could snag incoming troops they had longer to fire on them before they got ashore.

That is the same in Normandy. Last time I went up there, I found lots of shrapnel, barbed wire and even large shell casings still buried in the sand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back