Burma Air

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

plan_D

Lieutenant Colonel
Apr 1, 2004
I would like to share a few pictures from Burma, where my Grandfather fought from 1943-1946. All these pictures will be, of course, about aviation but as the men (such as my Grandfather) relied so heavily and the birds in the sky then it's still appropriate.

This first picture is appropriate for Christmas time...it is blurred but notice the 'Christmas Pud' and 'Turkey' written on the crates

Attachments

• 100_0017.jpg
    100_0017.jpg
    239.7 KB · Views: 864
  • 100_0015.jpg
    100_0015.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 853
  • 100_0029.jpg
    100_0029.jpg
    257.9 KB · Views: 860
Sorry for the size, and how blurry they are. And yes, they are ALL from Burma.

Attachments

• 100_0030.jpg
    100_0030.jpg
    216.6 KB · Views: 847
..another one...

Attachments

• raf_liberator.jpg
    raf_liberator.jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 847
I just found this picture on the net, and recognised it as the Hurribomber pic...this is just the full one...

hurriburma.jpg

..and another picture for you, a RAF P-47 used by the 3rd TAF.

Attachments

• rafp47.jpg
    rafp47.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 830
I like the picture of the Liberator, you can sortof make out a blob just behind the wings. If thats a turret then this is a Liberator II with a Boulton-Paul 4 gun turret that was used by a lot of RAF units in the CBI theatre.

I had a great uncle that flew with the 14th AF carrying supplies over the Hump. Unfortunately I never had the pleasure of meeting him though I do have a flight jacket that belonged to him.

I love that picture of the air despatchers pushing the Christmas Dinner out of the plane. I have to get the book 'Air Supply in the Burma Campaign' ...for this is a quote from the book "The soldier who depended upon air supply for beans, bullets, beer and shoelaces also depended on the transports to bring him help when he needed it, to succour him when he was wounded, and to take him to India when he was granted leave" One thing missing out of that was that they also relied on them to take them into hell...my grandfather could have told you that

No worries - I just bunged it into Jasc and tinkered with the definition to sharpen it up a little.

For pics out of books a scanner is the best thing. I'll probably have one in the new year, and I'll put up a few things for people to read.

Lightning Guy said:
I had a great uncle that flew with the 14th AF carrying supplies over the Hump. Unfortunately I never had the pleasure of meeting him though I do have a flight jacket that belonged to him.

Hey LG, did he fly C-46s by chance? Every year, they have a hump-pilots reunion. I think they are somewhere on the west coast. I know that our C-46 has gone to it on several occasions. Unfortunately, they get smaller every year.

By the way, flying the hump was serious business. Over 900 planes were lost flying the hump. Because of this it was called "the aluminum highway". We have some neat stuff on display at the museum from there. One of our members was a radio operator on the C-46.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back