Burma Air

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Started flying that in 1940, for the Chinese. Either that, or do the Burma road but then Britain closed that down in 1941, for three months. What? There was a threat of invasion...

I just got a book - for christmas - called 'Burma - The Forgotten War' by Jan Latimer. The 'Hump' has already been metioned in the first few pages, and the book is 500 + pages long. The 'Flying Tigers' - as the Chinese called them - have also been mentioned. It looks like a good book, I'm going to love reading it.

Not yet, that was just a little bit about the relations between China and Japan. And, of course, the US had to be put in that area because of them supporting China which put them in bad relations with Japan so on and so forth.
One thing I didn't know (and I feel stupid not knowing) is that Japan only became a naval super-power because Britain joined alliance with them in 1902. The first 50 pages or so are about political relations and events leading up to Burma.

"Like tigers with wings, their strength is irresistable"

It does mention their pay - $600 a month and $500 for every confirmed kill - and their complete lack of military look, just like being off a film set.
Also, the squadron symbols - 1st Sqd. 'Adam and Eve' . 2nd Sqd. Predator Panda. 3rd. Sqd - Hells Angel.

And then a few other things, 'cos then it quickly moves on to the US lend-lease not being put to military use - just on to the black market. I imagine there'll be more later on the AVG.

Pretty interesting. I don't know if it will mention this, but Japan actually built some DC-3s (C-47) under license before the war and they also license built some Pratt and Whitney engines as well. I don't know if it is true or not, but I have heard the Sakae engine design was based on the Twin Wasp. I do know that our Zero is flying powered by a twin wasp. I think the one in Chino is as well. They bolt right in.

I imagine that's so. The world was happy with Japan all the way up until it's invasion of China proper, even when in Manchuria the world wasn't bothered (except Russia). It is funny that Japan knocked Britain off top spot as Chinas worst enemy...politics, it is a funny world.

Indeed, but after what the Japanese did to the Chinese, I can understand why there is hatred that still exists today. I know there are a bunch of Chinese that died because they helped my cousin live after the Doolittle raid. It is absolutely awful what the Japanese did to the Chinese, and Filipinos and every other place they conquered.

The Sino-Japanese war was 'the most inhuman, most brutal, the most devestating war in Asia's history'. How handy that line became to be.

It wasn't technically a war until 8th December though because China refused to declare war because it would enact Americas neutrality pact, and Japan refused to declare war for some other political reason...when Pearl Harbour got bombed though, China was all too happy to declare war.

evangilder said:
Pretty interesting. I don't know if it will mention this, but Japan actually built some DC-3s (C-47) under license before the war and they also license built some Pratt and Whitney engines as well. I don't know if it is true or not, but I have heard the Sakae engine design was based on the Twin Wasp. I do know that our Zero is flying powered by a twin wasp. I think the one in Chino is as well. They bolt right in.

Some info I stole from PF...

Oh, there's a double aircraft list in the bottom pic because I did a poor job of stitching the two with Panorama Maker...

Attachments

• stitched_001.jpg
    stitched_001.jpg
    268.7 KB · Views: 400
  • l2d_photo.jpg
    l2d_photo.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 391
I should get my brother PF for x-mas...in fact, I shall...this x-mas. Yes, I know it so and so days ago, I didn't get him anything.

An interesting thing from that book that I've just read, well a few hours ago, is the air power against the Japanese during the Thai, Burma, Malay invasions. The RAF air groups made up of 6 fighter squadrons, with Hurricane Is and IIAs and Buffalos - although don't let the 6 squadrons fool you, all were drastically understrength and lacking supplies. At the start they only had 3, and could only field 10 aircraft between them. And Blenheims in 3 bomber squadrons, they also used Lysanders as light bombers.
3 of the Hurricane squadrons arrived in 2 days from Iraq to Rangoon, with 3 9-hour hops using a Blenheim for navigation.

The most interesting part is the Japanese attacked Rangoon, I can't remember the date I should go back and look but...<insert excuse here>, and lost 17 aircraft while the RAF lost 10 and AVG lost 2. The only AA they had anywhere near was an Indian light AA battery with 3 40mm Bofors, and that wasn't even covering Rangoon. Zeros vs Hurris, Buffalos and P-40s and the Zeros LOST :lol:

The tactics that the AVG developed during their short stay were ones that were used throughout the war. The P-40 pilots knew they couldn't go toe to toe with Zeroes. They used the strengths of the Warhawk and learned the weaknesses of the Zero and developed the dive while firing and swoop away tactics. Even when our planes became more advanced than the Zero, this was still the preferred method.

Claire Chennault sent a report on the Zero capability early on, when he first saw them. The Army and Navy thought that his report was exaggerated and largely ignored that report. They were in for a rude awakening later and most officers were surprised that the Japanese had such an advanced fighter.

The AVG must have developed it pretty quickly because this raid was 23rd December 1941. Happy CHRISTMAS!

I'm quite impressed the RAF only lost 10 when flying Hurri Mk. Is and Buffalos. It actually prevented anymore attacks on Rangoon for a while, the AVG made quite an impression over the skies of CBI.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back