Burma Spitfire Vc variants

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

greybeard

Airman 1st Class
Oct 25, 2011
According to "The Supermarine Spitfire V Series" (by Ted Hooton, Profile Publications, 1967), Nos. 607 and 615 Squadrons received the Spitfire Vc in September 1943, followed shortly afterwards by No.136 Squadron.

I would be interested to know which variant of Vc they received. Above in same page it is mentioned that Mk.Vc arriving at Darwin in January 1943 were "of the last batch built by Supermarine", so probably same was for those got by Burmese RAF Squadrons, but still I don't know what variant was that of last batch.

I mean, were they clipped wings, 16lbs overboost, Fighter-Bomber, LF or sort of combination of them?

Thanks for any help,
GB

The "last batch" Australian Spitfires were presumably in the MH series. They were all tropical VCs with Merlin 55s as far as I can tell.
No idea what went to Burma. Were they necessarily new production?
Cheers
Steve

I can't get to my specific reference at the moment, but from what I remember from my research for the models representing the aircraft flown by Bob Cross (highest-scoring RAF pilot in theatre) in India and Burma, they were full-span MkVc Trop, with 2 cannon and 4 machine guns, in the 'MA' serial range, Bob's normal mount being MA388.
Hope this helps a bit.

Thank you very much!

"full-span MkVc Trop, with 2 cannon and 4 machine guns" and "Merlin 55" depict the mark in use clearly enough for me.

Kind regards,
GB

You're welcome. Here's a couple of pics of the MkVc I built for relations of Bob, one of three models in total, the others being his Hurricane MkIIc and Spitfire MkVIII.

Attachments

• Bob Cross Spit V 138.jpg
    Bob Cross Spit V 138.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 158
  • Bob Cross Spit V 140.jpg
    Bob Cross Spit V 140.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 256
Fine workmanship!

I was a plastic modeler in the past, so I know what it takes!

Cheers,
GB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back