C-130 modification

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

NVSMITH

Airman 1st Class
Jul 26, 2011
-I came across two articles discussing a US Special Operations Command (SOCOM) proposal to make the C-130 amphibious.
Air Force Wants to Move Fast on Boat Plane for Special Operators and AFSOC aims to fly an MC-130J Commando II Amphibious Capability prototype in 17 months - The Aviation Geek Club
-The diagrams appear to show a C-130 on floats.
-My last duty assignment was at SOCOM and in the J-3 /SO-OP office there was a beautiful model, maybe 1:48 scale, of a C-130 flying boat. The model was wood, I think, and not really detailed but there was no sign of conventional landing gear so I guess the wee beastie was a pure flying boat vice amphibian. Unfortunately 99% of SOCOM is classified as a SCIF meaning there was no chance of getting a photo and the Public Affairs office had no idea what I was talking about.

Earlier thread is here. I linked an article from Military.com there about the decisionin' process in that thread.

It looks like a good idea, given the challenges China is posing with island-building in the South China Sea, as well as the accessibility to Yemen and East Africa to terrorist targets. Perhaps the Eastern Med as well? As an insertion/extraction means for long-range missions, it looks like a good idea, faster than heloes and more capacity too.

Apparently, this design features removable pontoons, so that it doesn't lose conventional ability beyond the mission at hand. Me likey.

Last edited:
I posted info & illustrations from two earlier (1964-73 & 1996-97) proposals for water-going C-130s in the Herculese Black Cat thread that Thumpalumpacus linked in his post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back