C-47 624 "Johnny Reb II" in New Guinea

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

SSgt Tiny B

Recruit
May 6, 2013
I am a newbie looking for information on a C-47 named Johnny Reb II. My Dad "arrived on this plane behind the fighting front" in New Guinea in March 1943 according the his handwritten message on the picture. This plane is seen in other photos my Dad has and might provide a clue as to his location. I am trying to determine my Dad's outfit by using clues in the photos he left. I know he was in an EAB unit as he is shown with dozers, mixers, etc and camps/runways that were set up in a matter of days. If anyone recognizes this aircraft, please let me know what you know about it and any locations it may have been. I have pictures of other aircraft that he took in the areas he served, but I will try this one first. Thanks to all who were interested enough to read my post. And my sincere thanks to all who served. From the son of a veteran,

SSgt Tiny B

I am a newbie looking for information on a C-47 named Johnny Reb II. My Dad "arrived on this plane behind the fighting front" in New Guinea in March 1943 according the his handwritten message on the picture. This plane is seen in other photos my Dad has and might provide a clue as to his location. I am trying to determine my Dad's outfit by using clues in the photos he left. I know he was in an EAB unit as he is shown with dozers, mixers, etc and camps/runways that were set up in a matter of days. If anyone recognizes this aircraft, please let me know what you know about it and any locations it may have been. I have pictures of other aircraft that he took in the areas he served, but I will try this one first. Thanks to all who were interested enough to read my post. And my sincere thanks to all who served. From the son of a veteran,

SSgt Tiny B

SSgt Tiny B

Hello Tiny,

Just saw your note on C-47 "Johnny Reb II" . I am the one who flew on and photographed the subject airplane while I was traveling in Papua Guinea during 1964. Apparently this very TAA aircraft VH-SBK is your father's airplane. Wow, what a coincidence !!! FYI, the September 2016 issue of Airways magazine has my brief article and associated photo presented in the letters to the editor of page 7. Another bit of irony is he fact that I had a couple of summer employments at the Douglas Aircraft factory in Long Beach. Those WWII era factory buildings have now been torn down and the area has been turned into a industrial park.

John Voss
Silicon Valley, CA
DC-3 TAA01.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back