CAF Chooses DALLAS (KRBD)!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

CAF Chooses DALLAS!

The Commemorative Air Force announced just moments ago, after a year-long study, that they have selected the city of Dallas, Texas for their National Air Base. Their new headquarters will move from their current home in Midland, Texas to a new facility, yet to be constructed, at Dallas Executive Airport ((KRBD) in suburbs just south of the city center.

The CAF Chooses Dallas Executive Airport as their new National Air Base

Wish they had put it at a smaller field outside a metro area with the attendant controlled airspace. Seems like they need the draw of major tourism close at hand, and they should find it near Dallas. The Planes of Fame does OK some 60 miles from the LA metroplex and it would have been nice if the CAF could have done something like that, too, but I wish them well there.

Is that the old Redbird Airport? Geez, I hope they don't steal all the planes. Many years ago the mall there they used to call "DeadBird" because of all the shootings.

Woot, listened to the rumble of mighty engines overhead this evening as I was in my house. They had a few warbirds there for the official announcement. I cut my teeth on Cessna 150's at RedBird, now Executive Airport many moons ago. I hope there is a lot of interest and it will be good for Southern Dallas. With the CAF and the Cavenaugh, we will have pretty good air museums here.

I moved my Bonanza there when Addison hanger fees nearly doubled in the 80's.. It is fairly well out of DFW TCA although the Cedar Hill towers are a lot closer and to be respected in low visibility days. For some time Jay (?) had Big Beautiful Doll at Redbird and I brought John Landers to see it and visited with Jay. It was great to see John D's eyes light up with a big smile when he first saw it... not too long before he passed away.

Greg - nobody re-locates to Taxifornia any more.. CAF has pretty much been Texas based from inception which is another factor (I assume).

I moved my Bonanza there when Addison hanger fees nearly doubled in the 80's.. It is fairly well out of DFW TCA although the Cedar Hill towers are a lot closer and to be respected in low visibility days. For some time Jay (?) had Big Beautiful Doll at Redbird and I brought John Landers to see it and visited with Jay. It was great to see John D's eyes light up with a big smile when he first saw it... not too long before he passed away.

Greg - nobody re-locates to Taxifornia any more.. CAF has pretty much been Texas based from inception which is another factor (I assume).

Yep I remember when an F4 out of NAS Dallas hit one of those tv towers at Cedar Hill in the mid 70's. I do not think that I got anywhere near them when I flew out of Redbird, our practice area was further east.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back