Can anyone help?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Chillimonster

Recruit
Oct 21, 2021
I visited the Heritage Centre today in Lincoln and was told that the bullet and casing which I have, that had apparently been removed from my Grandfather's leg after the raid at Peenemunde was not from a German fighter plane. They were very helpful but were not able to identify where it came from. If I posted a picture would anyone be able to help identify it?

I visited the Heritage Centre today in Lincoln and was told that the bullet and casing which I have, that had apparently been removed from my Grandfather's leg after the raid at Peenemunde was not from a German fighter plane. They were very helpful but were not able to identify where it came from. If I posted a picture would anyone be able to help identify it?
You can give it a try.

Thank you for you prompt reply. Having only visited the centre today the only reference to the size of the round that I can show is it next to a pen. Not very accurate but I will update the picture when I return home.

Attachments

• D50D7A2C-EA23-4EAC-A42A-6B84E1F6C8B2.jpeg
    D50D7A2C-EA23-4EAC-A42A-6B84E1F6C8B2.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 32
Thank you for your help. However, this is very confusing. My Grandad was injured on the outbound flight and would have been at an altitude of up to 20,000 feet. I'm guessing that the hospital where he was operated on have given him a random bullet that they may of taken from another injured serviceman. If he requested to keep the bullet that hit him after he woke it may have been disposed of?

ok, now it is clear - this is core from 7.92x57mm S.m.E cartridge - it means everything is matching now - German bullet manufactured after 1940, - gentlemen from Lincoln has been wrong due to missing jacket of the bullet - probably stripped out by the elements of your grandfather's airplane structure

in fact on your first picture stripped jacket it is probably large splinter on the very left side

1024px-7.9_SS_and_SME_Patrone.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back