hawkeye2an
Staff Sergeant
Can anyone ID this plane for me? It came up in a pile of 20s and 30s A/C from my home town and this one stumped me. If there is any interest, I will share others (all civilian types I'm afraid)
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules
It looks a lot like a Stearman Speedmail, aka Buhl Stearman. but has a skid instead of a tailwheel and what appears to be a cockpit where the two mail holds were. Someone who knows their way around the FAA register should be able to ID from the rego.
I would suspect another model Stearman given I only ever saw structure between the wing and engine on the Buhl Stearman Dave Tallichet had in the 70's.
Thank you so muchStearman C-3MB (c/n 188) (N)C6490 registered to the American Airways Inc sometime in 1928, according to the historical U.S. aircraft register
Thank you so muchI think MiTasol is on the right track, I think it is a Stearman, but not a modified Speedmail but a Stearman C-2 or C-3. Its hard to tell them apart as the difference is the C-3 has a larger oil tank, and a larger baggage compartment,
View attachment 877892
![]()
Stearman C2 - Wikipedia
en.wikipedia.org
![]()
Stearman C3 - Wikipedia
en.wikipedia.org
Can anyone ID this plane for me? It came up in a pile of 20s and 30s A/C from my home town and this one stumped me. If there is any interest, I will share others (all civilian types I'm afraid)
View attachment 877871
| NC6490 | Stearman C-3MB | 188 | C6490 | American Airways Inc |
To share, upload to SendGB (up to 5 Gb free) and post the link here (only active for three days)Can anyone ID this plane for me? It came up in a pile of 20s and 30s A/C from my home town and this one stumped me. If there is any interest, I will share others (all civilian types I'm afraid)
View attachment 877871
Can anyone ID this plane for me? It came up in a pile of 20s and 30s A/C from my home town and this one stumped me. If there is any interest, I will share others (all civilian types I'm afraid)