Can anyone ID this plane

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

hawkeye2an

Staff Sergeant
1,277
466
Mar 18, 2009
St Joseph, Missouri
Can anyone ID this plane for me? It came up in a pile of 20s and 30s A/C from my home town and this one stumped me. If there is any interest, I will share others (all civilian types I'm afraid)
Benny Howard 2.jpg
 
It looks a lot like a Stearman Speedmail, aka Buhl Stearman. but has a skid instead of a tailwheel and what appears to be a cockpit where the two mail holds were. Someone who knows their way around the FAA register should be able to ID from the rego.

I would suspect another model Stearman given I only ever saw structure between the wing and engine on the Buhl Stearman Dave Tallichet had in the 70's.
 
Last edited:
It looks a lot like a Stearman Speedmail, aka Buhl Stearman. but has a skid instead of a tailwheel and what appears to be a cockpit where the two mail holds were. Someone who knows their way around the FAA register should be able to ID from the rego.

I would suspect another model Stearman given I only ever saw structure between the wing and engine on the Buhl Stearman Dave Tallichet had in the 70's.

I think MiTasol is on the right track, I think it is a Stearman, but not a modified Speedmail but a Stearman C-2 or C-3. Its hard to tell them apart as the difference is the C-3 has a larger oil tank, and a larger baggage compartment,

1778146502800.png

 
Can anyone ID this plane for me? It came up in a pile of 20s and 30s A/C from my home town and this one stumped me. If there is any interest, I will share others (all civilian types I'm afraid)
View attachment 877871
To share, upload to SendGB (up to 5 Gb free) and post the link here (only active for three days)
 
Can anyone ID this plane for me? It came up in a pile of 20s and 30s A/C from my home town and this one stumped me. If there is any interest, I will share others (all civilian types I'm afraid)

A more complete history of this aircraft:

Stearman C-3-MB Serial #188 powered with Wright J-5-A Motor #B9276, Department of Commerce Identification C-6490.
  • Sold by Stearman to Gray Goose Air Lines Inc of Chicago IL 22 January 1929 (trading as Interstate Airlines Inc?)
  • Application for Airplane License made by Interstate Airlines Inc of Evansville IN 28 January 1929 for use on CAM 30 Route Chicago to Atlanta.
  • Converted to C-3B September 1929
  • Sold to Universal Aviation Corporation of St Louis MO 9 September 1929 as NC-6490 (presumably for use on CAM 28 Route)
  • Sold to Robertson Aircraft Corporation of Robertson MO 10 April 1931
  • Sold to American Airways Inc of Chicago IL 11 July 1931
  • Transferred to Embry Riddle Division of American Airways Inc at Lunken Airport OH 23 September 1931
  • Modified to blind flying instructional aircraft January 1934
  • Restricted License NR-6490 applied 11 January 1934
  • Aircraft written off in accident at Hodgkins IL 30 May 1934
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back