Can anyone identify this single propeller high wing plane?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

warbirdguy

Recruit
Jan 11, 2005
Hello,

I can't figure out the model of this plane. I found the reel in my grandfather's basement. If you know the model and make of this plane, please reply to this thread. Your help is greatly appreciated!!! Thanks in Advance

[/img]

Attachments

• snapshot003.jpg
    snapshot003.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 820
  • snapshot002.jpg
    snapshot002.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 803
Here are a couple of shots of the Aeronca Champ. The one labelled Uncle Paul is actually my cousin, Paul Burch. He was the chief mechanic on the "City of Yuma". He is also one of the gentlemen in the car, handing up supplies and gasoline.

Anyway, both of these shots are the Aeronca Champ. Some of them had the split wing strut like in your pictures, others had a single wing strut, like on City of Yuma. The first shot is the split strut version.

Attachments

• uncle_paul2sm.jpg
    uncle_paul2sm.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 767
  • cityofyuma2.jpg
    cityofyuma2.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 751
  • champ.jpg
    champ.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 788
Actually, it's a Chief, not a Champ. Side-by-side seating, not fore-and-aft. Great little plane!

Good catch RP. And I was mistaken in the identitiy of the City of Yuma (I shoudl know better, my cousin would shame me!), it was an Aeronca Sedan, not a champ. After looking a bit at the Aeronca models, it's definitely a Chief, possibly a super chief, the do look the same, basically.

Warbirguy, do you know where the film was shot?

Evanglider--the one labelled "Uncle Paul" is a Sedan, too. That's the only Airknocker that had single struts. Metal wing, four seats, six-cylinder engine. A buddy had one a few years back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back