Captain Eric "Winkle" Brown

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

There is an hour long documentary on Eric Brown, called, Britain's Greatest Pilot : The extraordinary story of Captain Eric "Winkle" Brown. The most remarkable thing is that if you take all aviation related tales out of his life story it is still a story that would make a great but highly unlikely movie. The link is below I dont know if all can access it.

There is an hour long documentary on Eric Brown, called, Britain's Greatest Pilot : The extraordinary story of Captain Eric "Winkle" Brown. The most remarkable thing is that if you take all aviation related tales out of his life story it is still a story that would make a great but highly unlikely movie. The link is below I dont know if all can access it.

It came up for me "Not currently available" but there other documentaries of similar length as well as 1 hour 40 minute hour presentation that he gave to the Royal Aeronautical Society.

There is a short clip on the "Harmony of Control" mentioning the Lancaster. He said "this was an aircraft just asking to be flown." Dad spoke about the wonderful control and feel for the aircraft. Somehow I don't think the same could be said about the B-29, which reputedly was an extraordinarily difficult aircraft to fly.

Jim

It came up for me "Not currently available" but there other documentaries of similar length as well as 1 hour 40 minute hour presentation that he gave to the Royal Aeronautical Society.

There is a short clip on the "Harmony of Control" mentioning the Lancaster. He said "this was an aircraft just asking to be flown." Dad spoke about the wonderful control and feel for the aircraft. Somehow I don't think the same could be said about the B-29, which reputedly was an extraordinarily difficult aircraft to fly.

Jim

Yep, all I get is
1641241542719.png

Bump!

Does anyone know if there if his logbooks were digitized and available for download anywhere?

Edit: evidently they are held by the National Museum of the Royal Navy.

Jim

Last edited:
Once again I'm late to the party, and I've mentioned this elsewhere but will repeat anyway.

I was fortunate to know Eric and Lynn--we exchanged visits Over There and Over Here. Early 1980s I hosted them at the Champlin Fighter Museum in Arizona, and when we entered the WW II hangar Eric immediately sighted the Wildcat, spread his arms wide, and exclaimed "Ah, the love of my life!"

You could feel the temperature drop 10 deg. F.

Eric immediately added, "Except for you my dear!"

Lynn shot him a sideways glance. "Nice recovery!"

Just marvelous folks.

I'm currently reading "Wings On My Sleeve", very enjoyable read; will watch the BBC doc after.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back