Captured beaufighter

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by thunderlight, Aug 22, 2008.

1. thunderlight

thunderlight New Member

Hallo to all!
    I'm a new member from Italy, and I search some informations about the Bristol Beaufighter captured by the Italian in Dec. 1941, when it landed in Sicily. I know it was a "Beau" Mk IC of the Coastal Command, "en route" to Malta. I think, on the base of the only four photos of the aircraft that the camouflage of the upper surfaces was "Extra dark sea Grey" only, roughly applied (the wing edge paint is very irregular for example) with no "Dark slate grey" spot on the upper camouflage, and "Sky type S" on the undersurfaces, probably because the 252 Sqn. in Malta need urgent aircraft for to defend the island. Can anyone confirm this hypotheses?
    First the italians air force paint the white cross on the rudder and the band on the fuselage, and late put the italian "fasci" on the wings; unfortunately the aircraft crashes in dec. 1942, late destiny of the wreckage unknow.
    I think also that the aircraft was a plane of the first serie built of MK IC, 'cause the lack of the 4 guns on the right wing.
    Can anyone help me with the serial numebers etc.
    Thank to all!
    Luigi

2. skypirate

skypirate New Member

#2 skypirate, Jun 21, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2013
    Hi Thunderlight.

Did you ever receive a reply to your query?
    The September 1997 issue of Scale Aviation Modeller has a side-view of this aircraft drawn by Richard Caruana. The colours are different to your suggestion being typical RAF desert colours: Dark Earth and Mid-Stone topsides and Azure blue undersides. I built a model of it some years ago:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope this helps

David

3. Wurger

Wurger Siggy Master
    Staff Member Administrator

A retired military Navigator/ATC, FIS controller
    The Bristol Beaufighter Mk IC X7887 ( T4887 ) of No 252 Squadron RAF landed by mistake during a flight from Malta on Augusta airfield, Sicily, 6 January 1942...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. vikingBerserker

vikingBerserker Well-Known Member

Korporate Kontrolleur
  5. bobbysocks

bobbysocks Well-Known Member

wouldnt that be a kick in the pants!! land your plane and climb out only to find you landed on an enemy airstrip! instead of going to the officers club for drinks you are going to the clink...