Cessna 180

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Florian

Recruit
Aug 6, 2009
Hello everyone,

At first I just want to introduce myself. My name is Florian I'm living in switzerland and I'm a fan of aviation since I'm born. I really enjoy taking picture of plane too Picasa Albums Web - Florian .

I'm looking after a 1953 Cessna 180 manual I know it's not a Warbirds but i thought you could have one after all the things i found in this forum.

Thank's in advance and sorry for my english I'm quiet bad with it.

Hello everyone,

At first I just want to introduce myself. My name is Florian I'm living in switzerland and I'm a fan of aviation since I'm born. I really enjoy taking picture of plane too Picasa Albums Web - Florian .

I'm looking after a 1953 Cessna 180 manual I know it's not a Warbirds but i thought you could have one after all the things i found in this forum.

Thank's in advance and sorry for my english I'm quiet bad with it.

There's one for sale at this site.

Cessna 180 1953 Owner's Manual

There is a website that has some older cessna aircraft manuals on line free. I'll try to locate it for you.

Florian -

I've got an original '53 180 manual.

I'm not interested in selling it but depending on how big a hurry you're in I can scan what you need. Do you need parts of it or the whole thing?

If you'd rather have paper, I've dealt with Essco through eBay on several occasions and they've always been good to me. Note that the pic Essco shows is a (probably) 70's or later reissue. The original has the old style covers and is about twice as long (about 100 pages).

Let me know what you need and I'll see what I can do.

Gary

Hello,

Thanks at all for yours answers I really appreciate. To GaryMcL if you could scan it it would be awesome. I'm looking at the whole thing. Just to explain why I need one I have a good friend who is the owner of a beautiful 1953 Cessna 180 and at a Fly-in someone stell it inside the plane :evil: so we are looking for a new one...

Florian

Florian -

Before we do this you need to have your friend check on the Swiss aviation regulations and find out for sure if what I've got will take care of your need.

In the U.S. there are two types of manuals: the Pilot's Operating Handbook (POH) and an Information Manual. For example, I have both for the 1981 172. The Information Manual has essentially the same information as the POH and is usable by pilots as a reference when flying different models but the POH is a required aircraft document like the registration and is specific to a particular aircraft. It is also usually periodically updated which the Information Manual is not. With later Cessnas, at least, the Information Manual is bound like a paperback and the POH is looseleaf to allow for updates.

I don't want to set him up for a violation if he gets ramp checked for not having the proper documentation and get the airplane grounded because if the documentation isn't all there (at least in the U.S.) it's by definition not airworthy and can't legally be flown.

I'll still get started on a scan as time permits but please have him make sure that the authorities will accept it as the required paperwork before we go too far. There's usually not a lot of slack when dealing with the regulators. You may have to contact Cessna for a replacement that will be acceptable. Age of the airplane may also be a factor in this.

FlyboyJ -

Sound right to you, Joe?

Actually you are correct Gary - BUT

I think you'll find that because this aircraft is a "CAR 3" aircraft (given a type certificate prior to 1959) there is no "airframe specific" POH like you would see in later model GA aircraft as you describe. The required documentation would be indicated in the TCDS. This is what it says on the TCDS.

The following placards must be displayed in front of and in full view of the pilot:
(1) On Models 180, 180A and 180B
(a) "This airplane must be operated as a normal category airplane in compliance with the
Flight Manual."
(b) "No acrobatic maneuvers, including spins, approved."
(c) "Both tanks on for takeoff and landing."
(d) As floatplane: "Retract water rudder during takeoff and landing."
(e) When wheel skis are installed, "Do not extend or retract while in motion on the ground."

http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgMakeModel.nsf/0/417858c7f90969f7862572430064d352/$FILE/5A6.pdf

Now in the event that a post CAR 3 that a POH is lost or stolen, you may recreate one but you have to ensure that all required information pertinent to that aircraft (weight and balance, flight manual supplements, etc.) are within the book. I would also recommend that after the book is re-created it is marked (Replacement POH). Lastly I would send a letter to my local FSDO saying that the POH for my specific plane was stolen and I re-created a replacement.

Comments?

Thank's at both of you I speak with my friend today and we would love to receive it scanned and see if the manual is what we need... If it's not we are going to see with Cessna what we could do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back