Choices

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yep, to me it looks like 2 Mk108's in each wing. Considering ammo, maybe between 30-60 rounds per gun. I dont know about weight though, but this is what I would probably put for ammo. But then again, with 4 of them mounted, probably wouldnt need much to bring down a bomber, just like the 262's did.
Possibly even toggle-switch them
use up the two outboards, then toggle the inboards in

The P47 with paddle blade prop would have been ideal because of it's high altitude performance and firepower. To my mind the 8-50 cals with 425 rounds each would have been adequate. That firepower could disable a small destroyer or freighter. However, it would be no problem installing four 20 mms in the wings with lots of ammo.

The P47 with paddle blade prop would have been ideal because of it's high altitude performance and firepower. To my mind the 8-50 cals with 425 rounds each would have been adequate. That firepower could disable a small destroyer or freighter. However, it would be no problem installing four 20 mms in the wings with lots of ammo.

I don't know how many .50 rounds a B-17 could take, but from the battle damage pictures I've seen, it would be a LOT.

Yep, to me it looks like 2 Mk108's in each wing. Considering ammo, maybe between 30-60 rounds per gun. I dont know about weight though, but this is what I would probably put for ammo. But then again, with 4 of them mounted, probably wouldnt need much to bring down a bomber, just like the 262's did.

Anybody has pic of .50 and 30mmx90RB together, so we could compare?

I agree.

If bombers are the main targets then nothing beats 4 nose mounted 30mm cannon like the Me-262 had. Putting them in the wings makes aiming more difficult but otherwise provides similiar knock-down power.

Wantabe made a good point about the Hawker Tempest Now, IF I got my history right, Wasn't The Tempest Used to Destroy German Tanks? If It's true Couldn't They Clobber B-17's and Liberators?:smileycouncil:

Tempests didn't got many (any?) tanks. Check out the 'Best tank killer' thread (sticky, in this sub-forum) for more info.

...Wasn't the Tempest used to destroy German tanks? If it's true couldn't they clobber B-17's and Liberators?
The Typhoon was
though it's arguable how effective it really was against anything other than massed targets. In my opinion, the chin radiator would be vulnerable to .50 counter-fire from the bomber as it bored in but that may be a moot point, I can't see the Tempest reaching the altitude that the bombers operated at.

how so colin? The service ceiling of all versions of the Tempest was over 37,000ft
The service ceiling of the P-40E was 29,000ft but would you want to bump into a P-47 in one at that altitude?

Sabre IIA offered 432mph @ 18,500ft
Sabre IIB offered 435mph @ 500ft higher

It's reminiscent of the almost-but-not-quite Fw190D vs the P-51D at the P-51's best altitude. The Sabre V came along mid-1944 and was still only offering single-stage supercharging.

Last edited:
I'm still thinking P-47 would be the plane they'd want just because it had the turbo performance at higher altitudes that many of their fighters hadn't come close to until the war was over. Putting cannons in the wings would've been simple, but i'm not sure it would've been lighter for the same reasons the Hispano configurations were heavier. Cannons tend to have more recoil, and required heavier mounts. I know the Germans were better at making recoiless weapons so maybe it wouldnt make much difference with only a pair of 103s or 108s. (course these had some of the strongest recoil of the WW2 air war.)

I heard the Germans actually captured several (60) B-17 bombers and used them in several different ways including infiltrating Allied formations to give away coordinates.

I also know of one incident where they flew the bomber over the allied bombers for the sole purpose of dropping bombs on them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back