College Training.......

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

billrunnels

Distinguished Member
B-17 Bombardier
8AF, 303bg, 360bs
Oct 13, 2017
Minnesota, USA
The College Training Detachment (CTD) was the biggest challenge for me as a high school graduate in the Army Air Force Cadet Program. My CTD was at Butler University, Indianapolis, Indiana. It lasted six months and consisted of 180 hours of Physics, 60 hours each of English, Geography, History and Mathematics. An hour of concentrated study was required each morning and evening. However, there is a story I want to share. The food at Butler was prepared by a staff of women and truly took on the appeal of home cooking. Sunday morning breakfast was especially tasty. The mess hall opened at 6:30am and I made an effort to be as close to the front of the chow line as possible. When the doors opened I rushed in, ate fast, then took the one half mile trek through a wooded area to the chapel. Following service, I ran back and got in the chow line again before it closed at 10:00am. I didn't always make it but I sure gave it a try. Believe me, it was worth the effort.

One other thing about my time at Butler University, I had the pleasure of playing baritone in the 145 piece Concert Band and the 125 piece Marching Band. We were told these military bands were the largest during WWII.

a

Last edited:
My dad was also in the cadet program at Butler University. Here's a page out of the service photo album his sister kept for him. The pictures are from a family visit in June 1943

44.jpg

My dad was also in the cadet program at Butler University. Here's a page out of the service photo album his sister kept for him. The pictures are from a family visit in June 1943

View attachment 470885
It is a small world after all. I am sure your Dad enjoyed the good food at Butler as I did. The residence of Indianapolis welcomed we cadets with open arms.Thanks for sharing the info.

Bill

Users who are viewing this thread

Back