Corsairs in Africa?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

T Fort

Recruit
Oct 20, 2008
I have a special interest in aircraft that saw use in North Africa, whether combat or otherwise. Does anyone know if Corsairs from the Fleet Air Arm, or the U. S. Navy, flew in the skies over North Africa (or landed on African soil) at any time during the war?

I have a special interest in aircraft that saw use in North Africa, whether combat or otherwise. Does anyone know if Corsairs from the Fleet Air Arm, or the U. S. Navy, flew in the skies over North Africa (or landed on African soil) at any time during the war?

Gotta say Ive never heard of any corsairs in north africa

Agree with Micdrow. But, that's not to say there weren't any. Back in 1971, I saw what looked like the tail-end of an aircraft hulk, rotting on the edge of Accra airport, in Ghana, which looked very like that of a Corsair. I couldn't get a good, close view, as we were taxiing at the time, and there was no clue as to it's type, F4-U1, -U4 etc., as it was mostly overgrown with vegetation. As you may know, the R.A.F., and possibly the F.A.A., ferried aircraft to North Africa and the Med., via Takoradi, West Africa. Then it was the Gold Coast, now Ghana. I'm not saying that what I saw was from the war period, could have been from any time, but this might help in your hunt.
Good luck,
Terry.

Agree with Micdrow. But, that's not to say there weren't any. Back in 1971, I saw what looked like the tail-end of an aircraft hulk, rotting on the edge of Accra airport, in Ghana, which looked very like that of a Corsair. I couldn't get a good, close view, as we were taxiing at the time, and there was no clue as to it's type, F4-U1, -U4 etc., as it was mostly overgrown with vegetation. As you may know, the R.A.F., and possibly the F.A.A., ferried aircraft to North Africa and the Med., via Takoradi, West Africa. Then it was the Gold Coast, now Ghana. I'm not saying that what I saw was from the war period, could have been from any time, but this might help in your hunt.
Good luck,
Terry.

The Corsair served post war with many countries. When did the FAA start operating Corsairs?

I saw Corsairs in Port Lyautey, French Morocco about 1953 or 54 . They
belonged to the French AF, and they had folding wings. They also had
some PB4Y-2's and F8F's. What they did with them I don't know. I never
saw them fly, either !!

Charles

I saw Corsairs in Port Lyautey, French Morocco about 1953 or 54 . They
belonged to the French AF, and they had folding wings. They also had
some PB4Y-2's and F8F's. What they did with them I don't know. I never
saw them fly, either !!

Charles

Hopefully they didnt get scrapped!

Users who are viewing this thread