Crash footage of a B-2 stealth bomber in Guam

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

A B-2 costs about half the money as an aircraft carrier.
A B-2 (on average) has more value than something the same weight made out of solid gold.

Another liberal spoon fed from the media...
Hey:!:
I know what you mean though, I didn't think about those facts that way. I got them from a military podcast.

magnocain, my point is that these statistics are continually spit out by the liberal media and everybody eats them as if they are facts.

Example. Let's assume that you have an object that weighs as much as an mission loaded B-2.

336,500lbs X $875/oz X 16oz = $4,711,000,000

Even assuming the liberal statistics are going to include all of the amortized R&D costs, development costs, test validation costs, maintenance costs over the airplane lifetime and all of the bloody ground support infrastructure (shelters, hangers, equipment, etc), that is still twice as much as a B-2.

So let's look at worst case empty airframe (no fuel or weapons payload)

158,000lbs X $875/oz X 16oz = $2,212,000,000

That still is at the extreme end of the B-2 costs, again including all of the above additional items amortized over the life of the airframe.

Pretty hard stretch to make the B-2 vs gold comparison. That is why you should never trust a liberal journalist with 5th grade math.

Consider this...

Assume there is a 10% attrition rate of the original 23 B-2s built. Depending who you believe, the B-2 may be around for the next 50 years or longer. Say over that period 3 aircraft are lost, well I think the investment in this weapons system would be considered very cost affective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back