Crass Advertising Banners

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

manta22

Banned
Aug 22, 2019
Tucson, AZ
What is this? National "Make Fun Of The Handicapped" week? I realize that our web elfs have no control of the stuff that appears here but I want to register my disgust regarding people who advertise crap like this. I'm reasonably certain that this is posted as click bait but still... :mad:
Clipboard01.jpg

There's some clickbait channel that had a banner like "new super death submarine terrifies Some Nation!" The thumbnail was of U.S.S. Seaview.
They have a few more like that.

Isn't the advertising custom tailored to a person's search history. That way each user sees ads that pertain to them personally.

It's called adaptive marketing.

Adaptive marketing is delivering content and recommendations based on what you currently know about customers and where they are in the sales funnel. Delivering the right message at the right time leads to better engagement and conversions, and it also prevents your audience from marking your messages as spam or unsubscribing.

I can (honestly) say that I have not searched for scantily clad women [or men] (in various forms of under wear), or for German Coins, or . . . (fill in the blank). Yet Ads for things like these keep popping up on my(? - not sure what the proper term is for this) engagement pages. I think I have seen only about 4 or 5 Ads related to anything I have done searches on - everything else is coming from someone or somewhere else.

I am not really complaining, just mentioning that my observation of the phenomena is similar to what is indicated by manta22.

[added]

Last edited:
I can (honestly) say that I have not searched for scantily clad women [or men] (in various forms of under wear), or for German Coins, or . . . (fill in the blank). Yet Ads for things like these keep popping up on my(? - not sure what the proper term is for this) engagement pages. I think I have seen only about 4 or 5 Ads related to anything I have done searches on - everything else is coming from someone or somewhere else.

I am not really complaining, just mentioning that my observation of the phenomena is similar to what is indicated by manta22.

[added]

It may be an overall forum thing. I'm not saying an individual per se. Bad choice of words I guess on my part.

Not necessarily ... it's a main tool for natural selection.

Correct. A genetic mutation is not necessarily a handicap.

Genetic mutations have occurred from day one that life occurred. You can see it every day in nature. Its how life evolves, and continues to evolve.

Correct. A genetic mutation is not necessarily a handicap.

Genetic mutations have occurred from day one that life occurred. You can see it every day in nature. Its how life evolves, and continues to evolve.
That is true but many, if not most, genetic mutations result in a flaw that leads to a dead-end on that limb of evolution. The saber- toothed Tiger being one example.

Take rattlesnakes for example. There are some species that have been hunted to near extinction. They survived and recovered by losing their distinctive rattle on their tail. People no longer hear that rattle and do not kill them. I'm pretty sure they don't see it as a handicap. ;)
Perhaps those people did not kill them because they were unaware of the snake's presence, bitten, and therefore dead? :oops:

That is true but many, if not most, genetic mutations result in a flaw that leads to a dead-end on that limb of evolution. The saber- toothed Tiger being one example.

Most genetic mutations result in spontaneous miscarriages and never see phenotypical expression. The majority of genetic mutations that do see physical expression are deleterious and result in early death or lifelong health problems for the individual carrying the allele. A tiny minority of mutations prove to be beneficial and can then spread through a breeding population.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back