Culver PQ-14

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

JimX

Airman
Feb 7, 2013
Does anyone have...or know the whereabouts of....a pilot manual for a PQ-14? I would dearly love to have a copy of one. I'm still hoping to own one of the little darlings one day.

The Planes of Fame has one and we don't fly it anymore in deference to the quite aged wood wings. We used to fly it all the time.

If you acquire one, maybe you should build a new set of wings for it and have a CLOSE look at the tail and general structure, too. We're not so sure they were ever intended to live this long and still fly, at least up to design limits.

Last edited:
My deepest thanks....Geo, for your info and Greg, for your suggestions. As a practicing coward, I can assure you that, should my quest be successful, it will be THOROUGHLY checked.

Greg...thanks again. And may I ask that you get some cockpit shots? Can't find many of them.

Well I happened to be out near there today and tooka few shots.

1) Here's the right front quarter:

PQ14_right_front_Quarter.JPG

2) Here's the seat looking back:

PQ14_Seat_Area.JPG

3) Here's the front part of the seat area with the cockpit open:

PQ14_Front_Cockpit.JPG

4) Here's the panel:

PQ14_Panel.JPG

Next post.

Continuing:

1) Here's a tail closeup:

PQ14_Tail.JPG

2) Here's the elevator trim and you cansee the rudder trim:

PQ14_Trim.JPG

3) Each wing has a fixed slot in front of the aileron... actually outboard of the aileron. Here's a slot:

PQ14_Slot.JPG

4) And here's an aileron with gap seal:

PQ14_Aileron_Gap_Seal.JPG

Hope this helps with your Culver questions. One more. Here's the datacard in front of the plane:

Dataplate.JPG

Last edited:
Sure, after Saturday. I didn't think of that ... and probably won't be back at the museum until then. When I do, I'll slide the canopy back and get the back of the seat without the plexi in the way.

Greg...thanks yet again. Do you know if there has been any change in the cockpit layout from the original 'as issued' condition?

Acutally I don't. Rob Patterson (perinneal pilot of Lady Jo at Reno) may know since he used to fly this one VERY often. I'll ask. Since I don't see much in the way of "quick connections" for the radio unit, I am assuming some changes.

One thing has me curious. If you look in the front quarter pics you can see the round, brownish exhaust pipes coming out behind the engine at the rear of the cowling. You can also see some square Aluminum tubes coming straight down from the cowling. I am now wondering what the square Aluminum tubes are since they are obviously not exhaust.

Again, I'll ask this weekend.

Last edited:
OK, I have some answers.

1) The wiring and items connected with the radio installation have been removed.

2) The engine has two carburetors. The small stacks out of the bottom of the cowling are carb intakes.

3)Here is the left side of the cockpit:

Left_Cockpit.JPG

4) Here is the rear of the cockpit looking back, with the canopy open:

Rear_Cockpit.JPG

5) Here is the front gear well ... sort of:

Front_Gear.JPG

All for now.

Last edited:
Greg...again, thanks a million. You've been most helpful. Now...if I back it up to the door, do you think I could tie it to my Miata so I could bring it home? All the best to you. Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back