cut cowling

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Pierceb

Recruit
Apr 4, 2014
I have spent so much time detailing my 1/32 BF 109 engine and I don't want to glue the cowling on, hiding all my work. Has anyone cut the cowling so it can be displayed open. I would love to read or watch instructions on it. I'm sure there are a lot of tricks I just know. and would love to learn.

Thanks

Sorry should have put that info in the original post. It is a BF 109E-7 tropical cyberhobby kit #3223. I have been looking at photos of 109's with the cowling open.

Well that's fairly easy then. The entire upper front cowling of the 'E' series lifted off in one piece, that is, the cowling from above the line of the exhausts. The 'saddle' cowling, over the guns, and including the supercharger intake fairing, also lifted off as a single, separate piece.
I'm not familiar with the details of the Cyberhobby kit, but almost every other 1/32nd scale kit of the Emil has the cowling as either two, or three complete parts. Where there are three parts, this is due to the 'saddle' cowling often being moulded in two halves.
Depending on how the kit parts are moulded, and what detail is included, you may wish to add the front, perforated bracing frame to the main cowling, and the latch fasteners to both.
I can't get to my scanner to scan a pic of the actual cowlings at the moment, but the pic below shows the main cowling, on the old Matchbox kit, with the open space behind being where the 'saddle' cowling fits.
If in doubt, post a clear pic of the instructions, and the parts if possible, and we'll be able to advise you accordingly.

Attachments

• BoB Build 2 102.jpg
    BoB Build 2 102.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 63
So this is the Emil. Judging by pictures of the kit sprues both parts of th engine cowling are moulded as separate ones. So no problem with leaving of the engine compartment open. Usually the top or both of parts of the cowling were removed for maintenance and put on the ground near a plane. However you may add a couple of inner details for these parts of the engine cowling if you want to have them more accurate.

Bf-109E Daimler-Benz DB601.jpg

Bf 109E engine.jpg

Bf-109E France 1940.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back