CWH Westland Lysander first flight

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I wouldn't have chosen it personally
The target tug role was normally the ignominious duty performed by a type that had simply become obsolete for all else - hardly a fitting way to remember an aircraft. I'm all for representing all roles that a type served, I recall the applause a fair few years ago when a restored Spitfire was liveried in PRU blue - someone had finally remembered the sterling service the Spitfire gave in that role but restored Spitfires were and are alot thicker on the ground than restored Lysanders, I think the RAF scheme of dark earth and olive drab with night undersurfaces would have been far more evocative of the type's heyday.

Its an RCAF bird and was only used domestically with the exception of 400 sqn which used them overseas for 1 month It was used as a target tug by 4? squadrons both flying examples in Canada are painted with the same scheme

Last edited:
That was great! I remember getting a 1/48 model of the Lysander as a gift when I was a kid. I was kinda disappointed because I was into jet fighters then, but by the time I had it built and painted, I was a fan of the funny lookin' thing.

I do prefer the camo scheme with one underwing black, and the other white, but I understand why the CWH would want to restore it in its RCAF service colours. That's real history.

Thanks, v2

JL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back