Czech not giving in in 1938? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ivanotter

Airman 1st Class
Jan 2, 2011
Johannesburg, South Africa
Dear All,

I was checking up on a few things and got onto the Czech crisis in 1938 (Munich again).

I also posted something on the alternatehistory site but the discussion has somewhat gone astray.

I am not up to speed on this, so please help.

It is mentioned that Czech had some 36+ divisions, sitting behind the "Eastern Maginot Line", fantastic defence works. Even Hitler got a wake-up call when inspecting these afterwards.

Germany was not ready for a war in 1938 (as far as I know).

I don't know the actual strengths/weaknesses of Germany at that time. I do know that some 60% of the German armour broke down on the drive to Austria (good roads!).

I also know that the Skoda works cranked out tanks etc of good quality (used by Germany later).

Now, Would Czech have been able to withstand a German attack in 1938 on their own. Debatable whether France and UK would have fulfilled their promises at that time.

However, it is not as much a discussions in terms of what if..., but more a matter of: Could they have had a chance? on their own.

Poland was in on the action. But that was a bit short-sighted of Beck, after all, he was next.

I do not see any reason for Poland to get involved in this, but what is the sentiment on that here.

Any takers?

Ivan

If you enjoy Alternate History books read the book "The War That Came Early " by Harry Turtledove. It covers this very topic in a pretty interesting way. It is actually a series of books, with the next "East and West" or something like that taking place after Czech has fallen.

When Czechoslovakia was formed only about 47% of the population was Czech. The other 53% were clamoring for independence throughout the 1920s and 1930s. To make matters worse, Czechoslovakia signed a military alliance with the Soviet Union during May 1935. The Soviet Union was distrusted by every nation they shared a border with.

Back to 1938...
Thanks to the Czech-Soviet alliance all surrounding nations disliked the Czech government. Half the population want to break free from Czech control. If the Czech government refuse to let go of Sudetenland, Solvakia and Carpatho-Ukraine during 1938 they will be fighting a civil war. Do you really think they can resist invasion by Germany, Poland and Hungary under those circumstances?

If you enjoy Alternate History books read the book "The War That Came Early " by Harry Turtledove. It covers this very topic in a pretty interesting way. It is actually a series of books, with the next "East and West" or something like that taking place after Czech has fallen.
read about 10 of Turtledoves books recently , interesting take on history

Why would Poland invade Czechoslovakia in 1938? How much of a welcome would received Hungarian troops?

up until Munich, the vast majority of European politics was focused on Stalin as the main threat to peace. It was only after Munich that people took a closer look at Hitler and his policy. The Soviets themselves focused a good deal of there wargames on the assumption of an eastern European alliance against the Reds.

up until Munich, the vast majority of European politics was focused on Stalin as the main threat to peace
I think that holds true right up to 1945. Unfortunately the European majority were out muscled by a minority consisting of Britain, France and the USA who decided to ally with Stalin.

Chamberlain refused to have USSR invited to Munich. The only power who could get to grips with Germany directly. Even in August 1939, where everyone could see where Poland was heading, Chamberlain sent his negotiation team for Russia on a slow steamer to Murmansk. Rippentrop flew to Moscow within a day of invite.

Blinders. Strangely, the only who was keen of an alliance with USSR was Churchil, the same one who had preached intervention in 1919/20.

Ivan

I got tired of Turtledove's stuff. Interesting concepts for awhile, with aliens invading during the middle of WW2, or the South winning the Civil War....but he seemed to get tired of major characters that you'd followed through two or three or four books...and would just kill them off for no apparent reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back