Daddy's Girl-P-51D: Which Propeller?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Alte Hase

Airman 1st Class
Sep 25, 2011
Hi all.

A quick question for those who know a lot more than I do: I'd like to ask if anyone knows which type of propeller the famous P-51D flown by Ray Wetmore of the 359th FG, named "Daddy's Girl", used? Was it the usual Hamilton Standard, or was this aircraft fitted with an Aeroproducts prop? Aircraft Serial was 44-14733, codes CS-L.

Reason I ask is that on p58 of the "Osprey Mustang Aces of the Eighth Airforce,1996 reprint" by Jerry Scutts, there's a photo taken from the left rear of this aircraft that seems to show an Aeroproducts prop, although being no expert, I'm not sure if it's just a normal Hamilton that just looks funny from that angle.I have googled this particular aircraft but cannot find any info on its prop.

Either way, any info would be great!

Thanks!

Hi all.

A quick question for those who know a lot more than I do: I'd like to ask if anyone knows which type of propeller the famous P-51D flown by Ray Wetmore of the 359th FG, named "Daddy's Girl", used? Was it the usual Hamilton Standard, or was this aircraft fitted with an Aeroproducts prop? Aircraft Serial was 44-14733, codes CS-L.

Reason I ask is that on p58 of the "Osprey Mustang Aces of the Eighth Airforce,1996 reprint" by Jerry Scutts, there's a photo taken from the left rear of this aircraft that seems to show an Aeroproducts prop, although being no expert, I'm not sure if it's just a normal Hamilton that just looks funny from that angle.I have googled this particular aircraft but cannot find any info on its prop.

Either way, any info would be great!

Thanks!

P-51D-10NA had the Hamilton Standard with cuff. Only the P-51K's (Dallas) had the Aeroproducts

daddys_girl_01first2weeksofJanuary4.jpg

Thanks. This is an image of the aircraft...see what I mean about not being able to tell about the prop?

Last edited:
And the next shots of the kite... for farther discussion of course.

cs-l1.jpg

cs-l3.jpg

X-rayDaddysgirl.jpg

cs-lpro.jpg

P-51.49.jpg

daddysgirlyellow.jpg

P-51d.64.jpg

Thanks Wurger! I think in the second photo, with the aircrafts prop spinning, I can see the Hamilton Standard Cuff visible!

Yep.... :)

Concerning the mirror and antenna mast - I think these were of the same colour as the anit-glare area in front of the cockpit windshield. These code letters seem to be without the red outline. Also no spiral on the spinner.
Concerning the name painted on the engine cowling..... it looks like it was of yellow. However the second pic shows it of white rather. The plane could have had it re-paited. In my opinion the last profile is the closest to the real P-51D. The only thing is the USAAF star marking I'm not too sure about. Undoubtedly there is a kind of outline inside the sign. The profile suggests the yellow colour for that. It seems to be of the same colour like the nose art. I'm not sure but it appears to me I have aready seen a such marking somewhere. But it was of light blue as memo serves. I'll try to recall myself where I came across that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back