Daimler-Benz DB 605 Oil System...I Don't Understand

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

As long as you don't drop a socket into one of the coolant passages!
That's only a problem after the head is off. I've not done it. From what I've heard, it's a case of 1. undo all bolts, 2. put spanners, sockets, etc away, 3. lift head off.

That, and having a drop cloth around the engine while undoing everything helps prevent losing nuts into the bottom of the cowl or anywhere else they get caught.

The inverted engine did pose problems with oil supply and consumption. The British sent a team to Germany immediately after WW2 to investigate the German engines and speak to German engineers. The British team comprised men from the Ministry of Aircrat Production and all the British aero engine manufacturers (including Armstrong Siddeley Motors, Bristol Aero Co., D. Napier & Son and of course Rolls Royce). They produced a report, 'Comments on Visit to Germany, July 24th 1945 to August 12th 1945'. In it they recorded that Daimler Benz engineers would have preferred an upright 'V', but the inverted layout was a requirement of the RLM (actually it predated the RLM, back to 1928).
They made the point that it was very difficult to get even oil consumption as the rotation of the crankshaft caused one bank to get more oil than the other. It's why the compression ratio is lower on one bank than the other.
Cheers
Steve
Edit: Quote from report:
"With the inverted engine, they said it was very difficult to obtain consistent oil consumption and due to the rotation of the crankshaft one cylinder bank got more oil (spray) than the other. This oil got past the pistons into the combustion chambers and reduced the anti-knock value of the charge. For this reason the engine was built with a lower cylinder compression ratio on this bank than on the other."
I've just come across this very interesting post. It would be great to see the whole report.

Cheers

There's a good diagram of the lubrication system here but it's in Italian: http://www.museomotori.unipa.it/posters/26.jpg

Oil is pumped under pressure to the crankcase and runs by gravity down a path between the cylinders into the camshaft covers where there are camshaft driven pumps to return out to the header tank. I'm not certain of this but, in regard to 0the colleciton of oil in the cylinder bores, I would suggest that it probably does but that, when the engine is running, the oil is constantly being splashed back up into the crank case to eventually run down to the camshaft covers.

Bonjour,
Je suis à la recherche de la côte d'entraxe des cylindres du DB605/A afin de pouvoir établir avec certitude le dessin grandeur de ce moteur.

vanceMerci d'a

Last edited by a moderator:
Bonjour,
Je suis à la recherche de la côte d'entraxe des cylindres du DB605/A afin de pouvoir établir avec certitude le dessin grandeur de ce moteur.

vanceMerci d'a

My French is terrible but if you are looking for information from me on the design of the DB605 I'm afraid that I can't help. The diagram and descriptions that I posted were taken from another website. You might want to get yourself a copy of D Deleted member 68059 Calum Douglas's book about engine development "The Secret Horsepower Race".

My French is terrible but if you are looking for information from me on the design of the DB605 I'm afraid that I can't help. The diagram and descriptions that I posted were taken from another website. You might want to get yourself a copy of D Deleted member 68059 Calum Douglas's book about engine development "The Secret Horsepower Race".
You will not find such a measurement in my book, but the cylinders are 178mm apart, except the middle four, which are 180mm apart (axially). Do not ask me why, I do not know.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back