Daimler-Benz DB 605 Oil System...I Don't Understand

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Djarum41, Apr 11, 2017.

1. stona

stona Well-Known Member

The inversion was one of the primary requirements for reasons remembered by Eisenlohr and noted in my post #9 above. The tunnel was also a requirement, but nobody has suggested that this was dependent on the inversion and Eisenlohr did not note it as a reason for the inversion.It just so happens that the inverted arrangement and the tunnel were part of the same set of specifications.
    Cheers
    Steve

2. Guv

Guv New Member

Well weapon packaging must have been of some concern. How many non-combat aircraft have use the inverted Vee configuration? Did the Merlin powered HA-1112 still have cowl guns? It didn't have the hub cannon.

3. MiTasol

MiTasol Active Member

In the early 70's the late Jim Maloney often said of the Planes of Fame B-17 that on cross country flights they would pull into airports mid-route and tell the FBO to dip the fuel and fill the oil. He also said if the aircraft went down you would be able to follow it direct from the last take-off point by following the oil slick the Wright Oilcones left

4. XBe02Drvr

XBe02Drvr Active Member

Retired
    #24 XBe02Drvr, May 20, 2017 at 12:34 AM
    Last edited: May 20, 2017 at 12:56 AM
    Wright engines always seemed to be leakers. (Maybe they hired Brits to design their gaskets?) We had 1820s and 3350s on various Navy aircraft, and later my Beech freighter shared a tarmac with a nicely restored B-25 whose 2600s kept the asphalt well lubricated. Not only do they leak, but Wrights seem to shake, rattle, clatter, and idle rough compared to Pratts, and an S-2 at takeoff power feels like it's shaking itself to pieces. (Not that I'm prejudiced or anything!) Our cowboy local cropdusters used to land their Pratt powered Ag-cats and Stearmans in the grass next to the runway, set the brake, hop out and go take a whiz in the bushes while the 985 sat there quietly ticking over. (Persona Non Grata in the terminal building, and they knew it!)
    Cheers,
    Wes