Daks over Duxford.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Airframes

Benevolens Magister
Aug 24, 2008
Cheshire, UK
The 'Daks over Duxford' event, in conjunction with 'Daks over Normandy / D-Day Squadron', is due to take place at Duxford, UK, on 4 and 5th of June this year, in commemoration of the 75th Anniversary of D-Day.
The event is due to see around 30 C-47/DC-3 'Dakotas' at Duxford, the biggest assembly of the type since WW2 (or the Berlin Airlift ?), with mass parachute drops over the airfield, and ground displays and, I believe, access to some of the aircraft.
The aircraft are coming from North America and Europe, with Duxford being the main UK display venue, before the fleet of aircraft cross the Channel to drop parachutists on the Normandy DZs on 6th June.
Although I suspect that any 'sticks' of 'paras' over Duxford will be relatively small, due to the prevailing wind and layout of the airfield, especially the M11 Motorway on the eastern boundary, it could be possible, if the wind is right, to drop a full stick of 22 from each aircraft, and will be well worth seeing.
Further details can be found on the IWM Duxford web-site.

Looks like a great trip Grant.
Karl and I had considered going, or possibly going to Arnhem in September, but both areas will be fully booked for the anniversaries.

Yup. I don't know if the tour is full yet, Terry. Graham hasn't said so, but you might be able to join the tour and accommodation will be taken care of. For what's included it's a reasonable price, although I've just been informed that the Dak flight is gonna be nearly 300 quid. I've put my name down, being a one-in-a-lifetime thing though... Expense be damned!

Can't make the Normandy tour but, depending on other commitments, I might get to one of the Duxford days.

It'll be a good show, as always. A pity I can't make it across, but I'm gonna be in Germany after the tour ends, then Belgium and Italy, so UK is off the agenda this time around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back